Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBPr HDMI to IMAC MDP 'Target Display Mode' not working

I am attempting to connect my MBPr HDMI to my iMac 10,1 Mini Displayport, in order to use the iMac as an external display with 'Target Display Mode'. I am using a Griffin Video Display Converter store.apple.com/ca/product/TY600VC/A/

I have followed the instructions listed on support.apple.com/kb/HT3924 but it still does not work. I would appreciate any advice on this issue! Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 1:15 PM

What year are both the iMac and MBP? I suspect Target Display Mode (TDM) will not work in your case.

TDM works on 2009 & 2010 iMacs that have mini display ports. TDM also works on 2011 and later iMacs that have Thunderbolt HOWEVER they two machines must be connected via Thunderbolt, not mini-display port. If one of the machines does not have a Thunderbolt port then TDM simply will not work.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2013 1:15 PM in response to zackzkh

What year are both the iMac and MBP? I suspect Target Display Mode (TDM) will not work in your case.

TDM works on 2009 & 2010 iMacs that have mini display ports. TDM also works on 2011 and later iMacs that have Thunderbolt HOWEVER they two machines must be connected via Thunderbolt, not mini-display port. If one of the machines does not have a Thunderbolt port then TDM simply will not work.

Jun 3, 2013 2:29 PM in response to zackzkh

zackeryst wrote:

i was under the impression mdp is different from thunderbolt. i called best buy and they say all i need is a thunderbolt cord to connect my MBPr's thunderbolt to my imacs MDP, no adapters. thanks for your assistance anyway!

Which is an excellent reason to avoid using BBY as a tech support source. If your machine is less than 90 days old or you already have bought AppleCare then you should call AppleCare.

Jun 6, 2013 8:15 AM in response to zackzkh

I believe that the iMac that you are using is that same as the one that I was using last December to do this. What I found was that you cannot have any adapters between your mbpr and the iMac. I was trying my grim to thunderbolt adapter in the mix and it didn't work. I then ordered from monoprice.com a minidp cable and that worked like a charm I want to say it was $11 shipped. It doesn't matter if it is a minidp cable or a thunderbolt cable for target display mode. The key lies is the fact that the 2 gpus need to have some handshake That says "I'm a Mac that meets the requirements for target display mode" and that cannot be achieved with adapters in the mix.

MBPr HDMI to IMAC MDP 'Target Display Mode' not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.