Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the MacBook keyboard black instead of grey?

A curious question about industrial design.

When Apple released the unibody MacBook, why has the keyboard been changed to black instead of the original silver color from the older MacBook Pro models?

I personally prefer grey keys a lot more than black keys as they blend in well with the aluminum body. Grey, like black, doesn't get dirty over long periods of use.

Some argue that the contrast lets a user recognize the black keyboard better. My counter argument is that the silver keyboard on the old MacBook Pros did not trouble users. Since the hands are already rested in position during typing, users don't need to look at a physical keyboard as often as a touchscreen keyboard.

Others argue that it's to distinguish the keyboard from the body. If that's the case, then why is the trackpad silver instead of black?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 1:51 PM

4 replies

Jun 3, 2013 3:06 PM in response to techsage1029

There are a couple reasons. The first is the longevity of the keycap legibility. The second regards an international standard for keycap contrast. You're probably scratching your heads asking, "Is there really an international standard regarding the ability to read a keycap?" Indeed there is. When SJ returned to Apple, one of his first decisions was to change the keycap color of a portable computer from black to "cola/bronze". Hysteria ensued - don't get me started.

Jun 3, 2013 4:18 PM in response to techsage1029

When you are a two finger typist like me, the key color becomes important. Having MBPs with both types of keys, I find that the black ones are much more easier and practical to deal with. I may have to look at the keys but never the trackpad. It is too intuitive to have to do otherwise.

I do have to admit that from an esthetic perspective, the silver key MBPs look just a little nicer.

Ciao.

Jun 3, 2013 5:24 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

A silver keycap with a white letter does not provide sufficent contrast as legislated. A silver keycap and a sufifciently contrasting letter color would be very difficult to illuminate. The current ID solution provides sufficient contrast, and the ability to illuminate the letter.

"Do you have any sources that describe the standard?"

I believe the inital legislation was passed by the EU, and it was part of ergo standards, including usability by the physically limited.

Why is the MacBook keyboard black instead of grey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.