Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Application did not respond to a request for services"

Hi.

I have a handful of homemade AppleScript services that I'm using to control iStopMotion and some other stuff. Every so often I get the following error:

"The 'Play Button' service [for example] could not be used because the application did not respond to a request for services. Try reopening '(null),' or contact the vendor for an updated version."

The alert box has no name, but the warning symbol in the box is badged with the either the iStopMotion or Xee (the other app in play) icon.

Generally if I just click OK, the services are fine on the next invocation.

This link is somewhat helpful:

http://www.rainmakerinc.com/kb/html.php?category=38

...but since these are applescript services that are presumably part of the system, I can't figure out what else should be "running" to respond to the request for services.

It happens pretty infrequently in the grand scheme of things, maybe 1 in 100 times the services are invoked. But the services are invoked constantly when someone's using the system, so the number of times it happens is significant.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of resorting to sticking a keystroke return into the beginning of the scripts to just dismiss this error box if it exists, but I'd rather figure out what I'm doin to make it happen in the first place!

Thanks for any ideas!

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 11:40 PM

Depending on how you're calling those services there could be a number of reasons. It would be hard to say without seeing the code, but generally you need to ensure that the service is running and has time to respond before the script moves on.

From the way you describe the infrequency of the problem, my guess is that sometimes the script is moving on before the service has had time to respond (perhaps because sometimes the system is busy doing something else). You could try experimenting by putting in a

delay 2

command in your scripts after each call to the service and see if that resolves the problem. If it does, try experimenting with shorter delays to speed up the script.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2013 11:40 PM in response to Allan Ayres

Depending on how you're calling those services there could be a number of reasons. It would be hard to say without seeing the code, but generally you need to ensure that the service is running and has time to respond before the script moves on.

From the way you describe the infrequency of the problem, my guess is that sometimes the script is moving on before the service has had time to respond (perhaps because sometimes the system is busy doing something else). You could try experimenting by putting in a

delay 2

command in your scripts after each call to the service and see if that resolves the problem. If it does, try experimenting with shorter delays to speed up the script.

"Application did not respond to a request for services"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.