Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get all files off a Macintosh IIsi and move them to a newer computer?

What would be the easiest way to take all of the files off of this old computer and move them to a newer computer? Please reasearch and tailor answers to this specific model. I do not want to remove the harddrive. (I would like the computer stay original and working.) All help is appreciated 🙂

Macintosh IIsi-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 5:12 PM

6 replies

Jun 3, 2013 8:23 PM in response to tsmsjs1

The five and a quarter drive for mac is rare and expensive. Your options depend on your budget and access to recycled equipment. Seattle has a great store for older Mac options. What is the biggest city near you? Finding a mac user group might be the best route.

Having said that, the easiest route is to buy a couple of zip drives or a G3 if you can find them cheap. Ten buck tops. The hard drive from the IIsi will pull out of the machine or hook the si up to an external SCSI drive. Then you have to get the files to a G3 or newer with SCSI and USB on the same machine.

Another alternative is to create a LAN but that also is simplified by having a platinum G3.

Finally, you need to consider the file format that you are wanting to save. Word files or Claris files need to be saved as ASCII or RTF so they can be read by newer software. Some of us still use twenty year-old computers and can do this easily. You need to find an old timer, buy the older bridge machines, or, pay the price for a professional transfer. Good luck.

Jun 7, 2013 10:46 AM in response to tsmsjs1

When the iMac was new (1998), there were some USB-to-SCSI adapters. You may be able to locate one, but whether drivers exist that would allow use with a modern Mac is not at all certain. There are also hardware questions (connectors, power supply) to be solved. This is not a method I would recommend.

If the Macintosh IIsi is fully functional, you could use 1.44 MB floppies for transfers of smaller files. A modern Mac needs an external USB floppy drive. A Windows PC with a built-in floppy drive would have to use a special utility (such as TransMac) for the handling of Mac-formatted 1.44 MB disks. In both cases, do not expect to transfer applications, only data files.

It is also possible to transfer files via a serial null-modem connection. See the following discussion for some details:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4974860

A suitable Macintosh computer equipped with Ethernet can be used as an intermediary. For example, a PowerBook 520/520c/540/540c. A LocalTalk connection (by means of a Mac printer cable) is possible between the IIsi and a PB 5xx.

Jan

How do I get all files off a Macintosh IIsi and move them to a newer computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.