Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod recovery mode while updating iTunes.

This morning iTunes asked me to update iTunes. I unfortunately did it. My iPod was attached. Then I got the error message that iTunes found an iPod in recovery mode and an image appeared on my iPod displaying a USB plug, an arrow and the iTunes icon. I don't know what to do. My iPod had a name but under iTunes only "iPod" appears under the left pane. I haven't rebooted the iPod. I am anxious that I could have lost my valuable files on the iPod (Voice memos and pictures). Please, help!

iPod touch

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 2:52 PM

27 replies

Jun 3, 2013 3:09 PM in response to Korsakov

All you can do is to restore the iPod via iTunes.

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

Also, go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices and look for a backup of the iPod. Restore from the backup if you have one. You may since the first step of update via iTunes is for iTunes to make a backup.

Alternately, if you have an iCloud backup restore from that backup.

For how to restore from backup see:

iOS: How to back up

Jun 3, 2013 3:29 PM in response to lllaass

I believe I had it connected to iCloud.

I found a backup on C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup.

On the iTunes window I have a box titled with "Version". Then there are two buttons, one of them:

"Restore" (If you experience problemswith your iPod, you can restore to itd original settings by clicking Restore.)

I found a backup from today with the name of my iPod under Edit>Preferences>Devices.

Should I click "Restore"? Thank you so much, it is a frightening experience!

Jun 3, 2013 5:03 PM in response to lllaass

I run iTunes 10.7.021 Unfortunately, I could not apply the instruction from your link iOS: How to back up. My iPod is not displayed under its original name.

Do I need to unplug the iPod aincluding external hard-drives and should I update iTunes first?

Should I plug it back again after the iTunes update?

I have made a backup of the last backup at C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup for security reasons.

Thank you!

Jun 3, 2013 7:24 PM in response to Korsakov

I unplugged my external hard-disk. It did not make a difference. The iPod cannot be seen as a separate drive on My Computer. Apparently, I have a backup from my iPod but it carries the original name. How can I access and restore this backup? I can't find anything to click. Thanks for your help!

A simple iTunes update is messing up a whole day.

Jun 4, 2013 5:44 AM in response to Korsakov

- Based on what iTunes shows, all you can do is click on the Restore button. The contents of the iPod are gone/erased.

- This tells you where you backups are located. If you have one in another location copy one to his location. Then it should appear in iTunes>Preferences>Devices and then you can restore from backup

- If you have an iCloud backup, first restore via iTunes to factory settings/new iPod. The disconnect for iTunes and go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase all content and Settings. Then setup via wifi. You will be offered option to restore from iCloud backup if you have one.

Jun 4, 2013 12:17 PM in response to lllaass

Thank you. It is strange that I cannot update to from 10.7.021 to 11.0.3 It only offers "DVD or CD Sharing Setup Update".

I have not actively backed up my iPod since I thought iTunes does ist automatically. I have a backup which contains items that carry dates from when I reconnected it to my PC after a long time end of May. Does this make sense?

Jun 4, 2013 12:59 PM in response to Korsakov

- Maybe:

If you have iTunes 11 turn on the Sidebar. Go to iTunes>View and click on Show Sidebar. You can also do a Crtl+S to show the sidebar. The sidebar is where Devices appears. and Control+B to show the Menu bar

- You said "Thank you. It is strange that I cannot update to from 10.7.021 to 11.0.3 It only offers "DVD or CD Sharing Setup Update"." What is "it"

- You also said "I have a backup which contains items that carry dates from when I reconnected it to my PC after a long time end of May. Does this make sense?"

After that time did you sync the the iPod with the computer? What date(s) are listed for the backup(s) listed in iTunes>Preferences>Devices?

Jun 4, 2013 1:13 PM in response to lllaass

- Maybe:

If you have iTunes 11 turn on the Sidebar. Go to iTunes>View and click on Show Sidebar. You can also do a Crtl+S to show the sidebar. The sidebar is where Devices appears. and Control+B to show the Menu bar

The sidebar displays a reminder to use Genius.

- You said "Thank you. It is strange that I cannot update to from 10.7.021 to 11.0.3 It only offers "DVD or CD Sharing Setup Update"." What is "it"

"It" meant the the pop-up window that shows up when you select Help/Check for Updates.

- You also said "I have a backup which contains items that carry dates from when I reconnected it to my PC after a long time end of May. Does this make sense?"

After that time did you sync the the iPod with the computer? What date(s) are listed for the backup(s) listed in iTunes>Preferences>Devices?

Fortunately, iTunes was set to automatically sync. The last backup is listed under the correct iPod name and is dated back to yesterday morning.

Should I be able to securely "Restore" this backup on my empty iPod?

Thank you for your kind help!

iPod recovery mode while updating iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.