Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sound, not even on start up, through audio in or out

Mac G4, MDD, 800 fw, 1.5 gig RAM, 4 WD internal drives, External OWC 800 fw drive. Lots of USB…, etc. Tiger 10.4.6, updated through auto update as soon as available.
Problem: lost sound through audio in/out and front and back speaker jack. NO start up sound, no bells and whistles warnings, no itunes, nothing. I get sound in and out through USB Plantronics mic/headset. Discussions note different loss of sound issues with no set pattern after updates from 10.4.3 or 10.4.4. I’m passed those twice now.
1. Headphones are recognized in SysPref/Sound when plugged in, but no sound.
2. In SysPref, Audio in/out shows and can be selected, but no sound in or out from connected Panasonic tape deck used successfully to input Garageband sound audio tapes for 4 months.
3. Checked all SysPref, Midi Pref, Garageband Pref, etc. to make sure mute is not selected. Removed Garageband, etc., pref files with no change.
4. No new application software installed that I can remember. I have removed Audiology and a couple of others since problem with no change. Cleaned pref and app support files after removal with no change.
5. Ran Apple Hardware test; shows everything passes. motherboard, etc.
6. Changed motherboard battery [which still metered “good” but not fresh].
7. Reinstalled OSX 10.4 from disk (not wiped clean, a repair install), jumped directly to 10.4.6 batch updated. Same problem.
Help! Or even a suggestion? Is there someplace else that audio could be muted? Other diagnostics I could run? I really need audio line in and out!

G4, dual 1.42, 1.5 gig RAM, multiple drives Mac OS X (10.4.3) full sound through USB headset, none through front/back audio

G4, dual 1.42, 1.5 gig RAM, multiple drives, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Jun 3, 2006 2:12 PM

5 replies

Jun 3, 2006 5:43 PM in response to David Meriwether

Hi, David.

1. You wrote:
"NO start up sound"
That usually indicates a PRAM/NVRAM issue. Reset PRAM and NVRAM.

2. You wrote:
" Checked all... Midi Pref...to make sure mute is not selected."
Did you check the Audio Output setting in Audio Midi Setup? See "No sound from some applications, but system alert sounds play (Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4)." Granted, the description is a bit different that your exact problem, but worth checking, both on the input and output sides.

Good luck!

😉 Dr. Smoke
Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X

Jun 4, 2006 2:29 AM in response to Dr. Smoke

Reset PRAM and NVRAM. I had attempted a reset multiple times before the repair re-install of OSX, and after your note, I have done so again. Before and after OSX reinstall, I never get the startup sound. After a very long wait, I lift the fingers and the machine boots, but I don’t know how to verify that either RAM has been altered. Is there another method to reset PRAM? That could be the problem.

Check Audio MIDI Setup: !] Sample rates are set at 44100.0 Hz 2ch-16 bit on both Input and Output and are both active (meaning they can be changed). 2] Input Source is Line In and is selectable with no other option in the dropdown; it does not change to dimmed when tape deck is turned on and off. 3] OUTPUT SOURCE shows Headphones when they are plugged into front, , shows Line Out when they are plugged into back, Internal Speakers when they are removed, BUT AUDIO OUTPUT SOURCE IS ALWAYS DIMMED AND NOT SELECTABLE.
Is this a clue??? I had seen this before and forgot to put it in the email. Did not think it was a problem, but at least it indicates that the computer knows there is no sound out. It does not help with the sound in problem, because it indicates that the Line In is active.

Jun 4, 2006 4:12 PM in response to David Meriwether

1. You wrote:
" Is there another method to reset PRAM?"
You could try starting up in Open Firmware mode (press and hold the Command-Option-O-F keyboard combination, just as you would press-and-hold C to boot from a CD), then try the commands in "'To continue booting, type mac-boot and press return' Message".

2. You wrote:
"BUT AUDIO OUTPUT SOURCE IS ALWAYS DIMMED AND NOT SELECTABLE. Is this a clue???"
I don't know. It may not be selectable as your Mac may only support one audio output, i.e. if you connect headphones to either audio output jack, then that's it as it overrides the external speaker.

You might try connecting headphones and external speakers to the respective audio output jacks to see if it then becomes selectable.

I believe you have a the "FireWire 800" model of Power Mac G4, which has a headphone jack on the front and audio output jacks on the back, primarily for external speakers. You may have to plug devices into both jacks for it to be selectable. Then again, it may output through both.

My PM G5 has a headphone jack on the front, an external speaker jack on the back, and an optical-output jack on the back. If I connect headphones, it does not mute the external speakers.

3. I presume you've seen the following KB article: "Power Mac G4 (FW 800): No Sound After Restart." This seems to apply only to Mac OS X 10.2.8, i.e. it was a Jaguar issue, but you may want to try the method outlined therein if you've not done so already.

4. I presume you've disconnected the Panasonic Tape Deck and other peripherals to assure they're not interfering.

5. I also took a look at the Service Manual for your PM G4 "FireWire 800" Mac. Here is all that had to offer re: troubleshooting Sound problems:
Sound

No sound from computer’s internal speaker
1. Disconnect any microphones or external speakers.

2. Verify the volume is set appropriately in the Sound system preference or Sound control panel and mute is not checked.

3. Clear parameter RAM. Hold down Command-Option-P-R during startup until you hear a second startup chime.

4. Verify the speaker cable is plugged into the logic board.

5. Plug headphones into the headphone jack. If you don't get sound via the headphone jack, try connecting external speakers to the audio line-out port on the back panel. If you still don't get sound, replace the logic board.

6. If you get sound from the headphones, but don't get sound when they are removed, disconnect the front panel board cable from the logic board, and test again. If the internal speaker functions normally, inspect the front panel board cable and replace it if necessary. Otherwise, replace the front panel board.

7. If you get sound from the headphones, the audio line-out port, and the Apple Pro Speaker jack on the back panel, but you still do not get sound from the internal speaker when the front panel board is disconnected, then the audio line-out jack or the Apple Pro Speaker jack may be jammed, making the computer act like you have speakers connected when you do not. Try inserting/removing the connector from the respective jacks several times to see if this makes a difference; otherwise replace the logic board.
No sound from Apple Pro Speakers
1. Push on the Apple Pro Speaker jack to make sure it is firmly inserted into the Apple Speaker sound output port. (The Apple Pro Speaker jack has two detents. You should feel them as you push the jack into the sound output port. Giving the jack a slight twist while inserting it into the port may make a better connection.)

2. Verify the speaker volume and balance are set appropriately in the Sound system preference or Sound control panel and mute is not checked.

3. Clear parameter RAM. Hold down Command-Option-P-R during startup until you hear a second startup chime.

4. Reinstall system software.

5. Replace the Apple Pro Speakers.

6. Replace logic board.
Good luck!

😉 Dr. Smoke

Jun 6, 2006 4:09 AM in response to Dr. Smoke

5. Plug headphones into the headphone jack. If you don't get sound via the headphone jack, try connecting external speakers to the audio line-out port on the back panel. If you still don't get sound, replace the logic board.

Have done all the tricks, and I'm afraid this will be the answer!

The dilemma here is that I will spend $500+ in diagnostic and replacement, and more if I go to Apple. I think I will try a compatible PCI sound card, because I am waiting for Photoshop to come in universal binary before buying a new machine (probably 15" MacBook Pro). Then the G4 with a terrabyte of drives will become a file/print server.

Thank you for all your help. Second time I have really had to use the forums for a major problem, and have hit a home run!

Jun 6, 2006 12:43 PM in response to David Meriwether

You're most welcome. Glad to help. Sorry it's not better news!

PS: You may want to mark my post here as Solved as it has solved your problem (you now know what must be done) and may help others with the same problem that find your topic know the post that contains the answer. Click the Solved button in that post above.

Marking posts that are helpful or solve the problem as Helpful or Solved, respectively, helps others to find answers and awards points to those who take the time to respond. See "Why reward points?".

Marking a topic as Answered indicates the question is resolved, but only you, as the person who asked the question, can mark posts as Helpful or Solved. The "Answered" status neither awards points nor provides an indication to others of the posts that were either helpful or solved the problem.

Good luck!

😉 Dr. Smoke

No Sound, not even on start up, through audio in or out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.