Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Interchangeable top panel/Keyboard/Trackpad?

Son spilled juice into my wife's keyboard. Just a little, but enogh to screw up the keyboard/trackpad. I have opened the computer and found no sign of the liquid reaching the circuit boards. I have a slightly older MBP and wondering if the top panel ould be swapped out? if not, are replaceent parts available?

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07

SMC Version (system): 1.16f11

Serial Number (system): YD*****X91

<Edited by Host>

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 6:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 7:14 PM

Sorry to hear that 😟

Is the computer whose specs you listed the victim or the potential donor? We need to know both models.

In spite of the spill not appearing to have doused the electrics, be prepared to find they are affected now or may fail in the future due to the spill. To that end, put your homeowners'/renters' insurance carrier on notice that there has been a accident. Many people have been pleasantly surprised to find that such damage is covered, subject to the usual deductible.

For many people the deductible is less that the cost of repair, and certainly much less than the cost of a new computer if it turns out the damage is greater than you think.

As that model is now over five years old, Apple may not have parts. You will have to ask at an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Also ask the Apple Store about the availability of a "depot repair" for that model. Instead of fixing the computer in the Store, they send it to a central refurb facility. Although depot repairs for physical damage instead of parts failure is typically up-charged, a depot repair fixes everything they find wrong for a fixed price that is usually much less than an in-store repair.

The only downside---and it is a small one---is that the depot repair usually takes about a business week plus shipping time.

If Apple does not have parts and you cannot use the assembly from the other MBP, there are plenty of places selling MBP parts. A google search for "macbook pro parts" will give a lot of hits. This one has been around a long time:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pro-154-22GHz-Core-2-Duo-m-30.html

I'm assuming yours is a 15.4-inch display

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2013 7:14 PM in response to G. Ewald

Sorry to hear that 😟

Is the computer whose specs you listed the victim or the potential donor? We need to know both models.

In spite of the spill not appearing to have doused the electrics, be prepared to find they are affected now or may fail in the future due to the spill. To that end, put your homeowners'/renters' insurance carrier on notice that there has been a accident. Many people have been pleasantly surprised to find that such damage is covered, subject to the usual deductible.

For many people the deductible is less that the cost of repair, and certainly much less than the cost of a new computer if it turns out the damage is greater than you think.

As that model is now over five years old, Apple may not have parts. You will have to ask at an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Also ask the Apple Store about the availability of a "depot repair" for that model. Instead of fixing the computer in the Store, they send it to a central refurb facility. Although depot repairs for physical damage instead of parts failure is typically up-charged, a depot repair fixes everything they find wrong for a fixed price that is usually much less than an in-store repair.

The only downside---and it is a small one---is that the depot repair usually takes about a business week plus shipping time.

If Apple does not have parts and you cannot use the assembly from the other MBP, there are plenty of places selling MBP parts. A google search for "macbook pro parts" will give a lot of hits. This one has been around a long time:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pro-154-22GHz-Core-2-Duo-m-30.html

I'm assuming yours is a 15.4-inch display

Jun 30, 2013 6:27 PM in response to Allan Jones

Powerbook Medic saved the day. I tried to clean the keyboard with a spray cleaner I got at Radio Shack, but nothing really helped the keys that were sticky. The new keyboard dropped in easily, but the cable connecting it to the circuit board in the top was more vexing. The old one slipped out before I could see how the mount unlocked. Trying to open it I broke it and had to return to Powerbook Medic to order a new top. They had used ones for a great price and I was more careful and got the Powerbook working again. APpears so far that it was only a damaged keyboard.

Interchangeable top panel/Keyboard/Trackpad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.