Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.

Gday people,

I copied some files across to my time capsule and now I would like to delete them When I drag them to the Trash they start deleting and then a message comes up saying (The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.) and then the deleting boms out. Any ideas on how to rectify this.

Thanks

Simon

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 7:19 PM

Click on the folder contaiing the files and control click on it, choose Get info > under permissions unlock the pad lock, and set permissions to read and write. Click on the gear below and set to all inside.

Then try to delete.

21 replies

Jun 6, 2013 7:57 AM in response to shorsfall

There seems to be some confusion here, Are you talking about regular files stored on a Time Capsule or are you talking about Time Machine backup files?

I don;t have a Time Capsule but do have a Airport Express with a drive connected to its USB port. In my setup the drive appears as a shared volume and when I delete something from that drive I get a message saying that the item will be deleted immediately. Shared volumes do not have a .Trash folder and so items deleted from them are gone as soon as you confirm.

Is this how the Time Capsule had been behaving also before the problem starting happening?

Jun 4, 2013 7:07 AM in response to WBeck71

I thought I would just elaborate a little more on what is actually happening when I try and delete these files. Its not actually moving them to the trash. What is happening is after I move the folder to the trash then after about 10 secs or so the erroe message comes up. The files never get moved to the trash. It justs boms out and the files are left in there former location.

Jun 6, 2013 7:37 AM in response to shorsfall

I don't think you should be trying to selectively delete any files from TM via the finder. You should carefully read through the Pondini link I gave you above. And forget about the Terminal command I gave you. That really doesn't apply here.

But I know very little about TM, since I don't use it. I'll try to get some help for this.

Jun 6, 2013 11:40 AM in response to shorsfall

Assuming these are not Time Machine backups, OSX may be sending the wrong message -- the files may be locked instead of having a permissions problem. I've seen that before on network drives.

Select one, control-click (right-click) it, select Get Info, and see if the little Locked box in the General section is checked. If it is, remove the check and try again.

Mar 29, 2014 11:58 AM in response to shorsfall

I just want to thank all of you who posted the solution to the problem "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.". I have to say I've been lazy about finding the answer but I've been struggling with this for several months now and finally I Googled the message. Boy am I happy it's resolved now. You all are fantastic. 😁

Jun 5, 2014 3:02 PM in response to Pondini

I have spent more than 3 hours searching for an answer to a similar problem.

I was saving an important 20GB Folder with 13,590 items from a previous 3 year old MacBook Pro as data folder into my Airport Time Capsule, also about 3 years old (2nd generation I think) as I was having a lot of problems with the MBP. However, during the process, my MBP crashed and the transfer was incomplete. After I restarted the MBP, the Folder I copied into the Time Capsule is shown as a light shade text and when I click on this Folder it shows just a folder icon and not the contents of files and sub-folders in this Folder that may have been copied before the crash. Hence I tried to delete this folder and came out with the standard message. Same as dicussed here, under info, the folder is not locked. There is no lock key at the bottom below Sharing & Permission. And access highlighted is (unkownn), staff and everyone with read & Write privilege for all three.I tried to folow some of the procedures stated here and in other sites but without any success.

Can you assist. Thanks a million.

The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.