Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guest Network in Bridged Mode?

I'm wondering if you can use the Guest wifi network feature on an Airport Extreme that is in bridged mode. When I say bridged mode, I do NOT mean "extending" a wireless network (like many threads with a smiliar title seem to mean). What I mean is that I have a single Airport Extreme. I want to use it as a wireless access point, while continue to use my ISP's modem/router combo as the DHCP provider. The ISP box will have no wifi enabled. The Airport will connect to that box (via a large switch) and be convfigured as a bridge, instead of "distributing IP addresses" itself.

I know that in this setup, a regular wireless network is not a problem. But I've never tried a regular and a guest network together, while in bridged mode. I'm hoping this is do-able, because I don't think the DHCP in the ISP box can be turned off. Plus we only planned for a single ethernet cable going up a floor to where this airport is going to live. If it is going to be the DHCP provider too, then there would have to be a second ethernet cable, so the airport can logically be between the ISP box and the switch.

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 2:09 AM

13 replies

Jun 16, 2013 9:18 AM in response to l008com

Tried this with 3 different 3rd party routers, but no go.

If you have another Apple router on the wired network that is set up with the Guest Network, then you can add a second AirPort and the guest network will work in Bridge Mode.

Might that be the case?

If not, have you tested to verify that you can get an Internet connection on the Guest Network?

Jun 24, 2013 12:40 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Turns out you can connect to both networks, but you only get an IP over the private network. Public just gives you a self-assigned IP. That is particularly annoying. Even running DHCP only for the guest network would be an OK option. But we can't double-nat the primary network, and the comcst modem has a router built in that I don't think you can disable.

Nov 7, 2013 2:16 PM in response to dennypage

This is a valuable answer because it clarifies the one piece of the puzzle as to how this might (or might not) work.

It is obvious that a device connecting to the base station informs the base station as to whether it is on the guest or private network through the SSID it connects to. It's obvious how one can create two overlaid networks through using two different (non-routable) IP address ranges. It's obvious how the base station --- AS DHCP and NAT HOST --- can allocate addresses in these two ranges.

What was not obvious is how this can all propagate out to a third party DHCP server --- how would that server know to allocate IP addresses in one range rather than the other?

But use of a VLAN tag answers that question. Very cute use of a (to home users) rather obscure part of the ethernet spec.

Guest Network in Bridged Mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.