Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using OS 9 on PowerBook G4 running OSX 10.5.8

I have a PowerBook G4 in good working order running OS 10.5.8.

I am trying to migrate upward Pagemaker 7 files from a MacPlus running OS 6. I have Adobe InDesign 2 on my PowerBook and this should open Pagemaker 7 files. I can put my Pagemaker 7 files onto a 1.4 diskette on the OS 6 system. Now I need to connect a 1.4 disk USB drive to my PowerBook to bring the Pagemaker 7 files into InDesign.

I have bought an Imation SuperDisk complete with its original installation disk. I have installed on my PowerBook G4 the Mac OS 9 support files from the original G4 installation disc. However, when I try to run the installation file, I get what I believe is an Apple message (not an Imation install message) that says: "You can't open this application because the classic environment is not longer supported." I suppose this is because I have upgraded from the original G4 OSX installation.

I suppose I could wipe the G4 clean and start over by installing the original OS that came with it with the OS 9 support files. However, even if I then get the Imagion disk drive working, I probably won''t be able to run InDesign in that original OS. Can you guide me?

Perhaps there is another way to move the Pagemaker 7 files from my MacPlus to my Powerbook G4? At the moment it is not connected to the internet and I do not know how to set that up. Or perhaps there is a computer to computer file transfer option?

Help greatly appreciated. I really want to move these old elaborate Pagemaker 7 files up into InDesign 2, thence to 3, 4 etc.that I have on my iMac and MacMini.

Thank you thank you!

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 9:49 AM

4 replies

Jun 4, 2013 11:32 AM in response to cranforder

Some info on older Powerbooks that can run Classic OS 9.

A caveat from the source:

Please particularly be mindful of asterisks, as these note that a system is capable of running Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" but the "Classic Environment" is only supported when running Mac OS X 10.4.11 "Tiger" or lower.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_capability/macs-that-support-macos-9-classic. html

Dec 11, 2013 1:55 PM in response to cranforder

I have successfully installed both Mac OS 9 (Classic) and Mac OS X 10.5 on the same machine. To do so, I have partitionned the hard drive so as to have a partition with 10.2 that can run Classic, and a partition with 10.5. Simple and it works! It'll take you a while to get it set up, and you might need a couple install CDs (that are easy to come by on second-hand websites), but the process is quite straightforward.

After you're all set, you can restart your computer and press "ALT" to chose which partition you want to start from. In order not to get confused, I have placed a desktop image with OS 9's logo on my OS 9 partition and the trademark space and stars from the later OS X for the other 🙂

Dec 16, 2013 11:49 AM in response to cranforder

Careful what you call Classic.

Classic will not run under 10.5.

You have four options:

1. Firewire dual boot Mac OS X 9 & Mac OS X 10.5 on Macs that support Mac OS 9 booting:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1757

2. Firewire dual boot 10.4.11 & 10.5 installing Classic on the 10.4.11 drive.

3. Dual boot two partitions in 10.4.11 and 10.5, installing Classic on the 10.4.11, or just installing 9 on a machine that supports booting into Mac OS 9.

4. Dual boot two internal drives in 10.4.11 and 10.5, installing Classic on the 10.4.11, or just installing 9 on a machine that supports booting into Mac OS 9.

Booting is controlled through Apple menu -> System Preferences.

Classic has very limited driver support, whereas 9 booting supports the full array of Mac OS 9 drivers.

Using OS 9 on PowerBook G4 running OSX 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.