Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are iWeb files stored on my iMac?

I'm switching to hosting my site on Dropbox (where I switched to when .Mac web hosting stopped) to Godaddy and have a basic (very basic!) question.

Do the files for the website exist on my iMac (or connected drives) somewhere or will they only exist up on Godaddy?

thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 11:12 AM

6 replies

Jun 4, 2013 11:16 AM in response to Meetoo

iWeb keeps all of the files in a file titled Domain.sites2 that is located in your Users/Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder. The html files do not exist until you publish them from iWeb either directly to the FTP server (iWeb 3 only) or to a folder on the hard drive (iWeb 2) and upload them with a 3rd party FTP client.

The key file you need to use and backup is the Domain.sites2 file.

In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

To open your domain file in Lion or Mountain Lion or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script "/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file in your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder that you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

OT

Jun 4, 2013 11:17 AM in response to Meetoo

The files are stored on your Mac and are your domain.sites files. This is where all the iWeb data is stored and can be found under your User/Library/Application Support/iWeb/domain.sites.

When you open your domain.sites file or your site in iWeb, you need to publish your site form iWeb to a local folder and this gives you all the html and css files in your site folder and it is then these files that you upload to Dropbox.

Remember that iWeb has no import facility, so is unable to open a previously published site - html and css files.

It is the domain.sites file that you need and you then publish to a local folder from there and upload the resultant html files to Dropbox.

Jun 4, 2013 11:24 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you so much! Yes, I can't see the folder or file, and don't need to open it, I just wanted to make sure it exists somewhere here, and not just up on the Godaddy servers. Sounds like it's here, but I just can't see it. In my User folder, there is no Library folder (that I can see). There is a Library folder at the Macintosh HD level window though, but there's no iWeb folder in the Application Support folder (that I can see).

Does that sound like things are the way they should be?

Where are iWeb files stored on my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.