Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sprint iPhone 5 Unlock

Hello. I bought the Iphone 5 for the full price of Sprint and use it to this day. Two months ago, my phone stopped play sound and I sent it in for repair. My old phone is unlocked for international GSM sim card. I could use it in Paris when went on vacation. After I replaced my phone, it was unlocked and now I can not use it in Europe. In the Sprint companies say they do not unlock, you have to contact Apple. How do I unlock my phone so I could use it as with my old phone?. Why did you replace my old phone for a new one? The problem was only in the dynamics. I liked my old phone ...

Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 1:40 PM

14 replies

Jun 4, 2013 1:56 PM in response to NOHCHO

Are you a Sprint customer? If not, then you have a problem on your hands. ONLY Sprint can unlock the SIM slot on the phone. Unlocking the SIM slot on a CDMA locked iPhone is a slightly different thing from unlocking a GSM phone.

You should not have purchased a Sprint phone if you did not intend to use it with Sprint.

Jun 4, 2013 2:28 PM in response to NOHCHO

NOHCHO wrote:

Hello. I bought the Iphone 5 for the full price of Sprint and use it to this day. Two months ago, my phone stopped play sound and I sent it in for repair. My old phone is unlocked for international GSM sim card. I could use it in Paris when went on vacation. After I replaced my phone, it was unlocked and now I can not use it in Europe. In the Sprint companies say they do not unlock, you have to contact Apple. How do I unlock my phone so I could use it as with my old phone?. Why did you replace my old phone for a new one? The problem was only in the dynamics. I liked my old phone ...

Thanks

Did you send it to Apple for repair? If so, they should have sent you back an unlocked phone if the original was unlocked. If they did not this is their mistake, and they should correct it. This is the one instance where Apple will unlock a phone. You need to contact them with the old and new IMEI to they can verify that it should be unlocked. If you sent it to Sprint for repair then they have to resolve the problem.

Jun 4, 2013 2:35 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yes, I sent it to the Apple repair. I just spoke with a representative of Apple and they said they can not unlock it. I do not speak English and did not quite understand why. Sprint says they unlock the new iPhone after 18 months. What kind of nonsense? My old phone was unlocked for GSM networks. One thing I learned that Sprint is âš .

Jun 4, 2013 2:47 PM in response to NOHCHO

Well, you have your answer. Unlocking the SIM slot on a CDMA phone is NOT the same thing as unlocking a GSM phone.

Tell Sprint you want to cancel your service with them if that's the case. See if that gets them to change their tune. If they don't, then switch carriers.

It is entirely possible that they do not want to unlock it because they have reason to believe you are going to skip out on your contract after getting it unlocked. Especially if you have already had one phone unlocked by them. Doubly so if you do not speak English well.

Sprint iPhone 5 Unlock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.