Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i add the new @outlook.com to my 2013 macbook pro

Bought a new Macbook Pro Today. I tried setting up my new @outlook.com email address in the Apple Mail System. I cant get it to work. This is not an exchange account, just the new @outlook instead of @hotmail.

Any Advice?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), It's actually the new 10.8.4 System

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 4:16 PM

12 replies

Jun 6, 2013 11:23 AM in response to Aquaftm45

Hey Aquaftm45,

Usually Mail can automatically get the email account settings for many email service providers. It sounds like you might have already done this, but just in case try the following steps to see if it works:

1. Open Mail.
  2. Choose Add Account from the File menu. If this is the first time you've opened Mail, you will be automatically prompted to add an account.
  3. Enter your Full Name, email address, and password. See Mac 101: Mail article for more information.

If Mail cannot configure automatically by following those steps, continue with this article:

Configuring Mail for your email account
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1277

I'll go over manually configuring Mail to work with your email address. You might need to get some information from your email service provider by using the cheat sheet you'll see in the article.

All the best,

David

Oct 13, 2013 6:49 PM in response to Csound1

I'm still having problems too. I tried both inside Mail and adding account, and sys prefs/add mail acct.

1)Mail app results:

The outlook.com POP server “imap-mail.outlook.com” is not responding. Try checking the network connection, and that the server name is correct. Otherwise, the server might be temporarily unavailable. If you continue, you might not be able to receive messages.

2)Sys pref's results:

The sys prefs/add mail acct-it tries to "contact server" for a long time, then results are:

The Mail server “outlook.com” is not responding. Try checking the network connection, and that the server name is correct. Otherwise, the server might be temporarily unavailable.

3)re Delgado's what to do above, I cannot ever get to the window for putting in all manually, it only wants to auto-find and add. I see no check box to stop this as it's stated above in link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1277

where it says: "4. Deselect "Automatically set up account" if it is enabled. Click Continue to proceed." I see NO box to deselect.

I appreciate any other ideas!

P.S. I can get and send mail from other type accounts like Gmail and Yahoo without any problems. It's only outlook.com trying to get my Mac Mail to get my mail from outlook. I can also go to web browser and sign in to outlook.com without any problems on same computer. so it's some prob with mac mail settings for outlook.

Oct 13, 2013 8:10 PM in response to Strgzr

I GOT IT! (After prayer! 🙂) How:

-Went into System Prefs/Mail, Contacts & Calendars/ on right side scrolled down to Add Other Account/chose Add a Mail Account/clicked create/signed in, waited, then when it gave same error, his CONTINUE, and THERE was the place to input server settings my self FINALLY 😉. I then noticed it did have POP at top as type, but under the INCOMING (pop) server it had the WRONG one: imap-mail.outlook.com-- then I changed it to this:

pop3.live.com

....and confirmed the next window (after hitting CONTINUE) showed SMTP as: smtp.live.com

and then it WORKED!

...had to put in password when getting mail first time, but it stuck and works.

I only wonder why the auto settings puts in that wrong imap/outlook.com one instead of newest. I wonder if someone at Apple can make it auto put in correct one for outlook users?

Anyway, so greatful this works now! I hope it helps someone else too!

Dec 14, 2013 8:26 PM in response to Aquaftm45

Hi everyone,

I just have to discover this,

- first you have to access in to you outlook account via web browser browser browser go preference and deactivate Connect devices and apps with POP (this will shut off the pop3 acces, its very primitive) and then,

- Went into System Mail to Add Other Account; chose Add a Mail Account; click create; signed in, waited, then when it gave an error, at this time it will ask if you want to do a manual configuration; say yes and Use the following settings:

Incoming (IMAP) Server

Server address: imap-mail.outlook.com

Port: 993

Encrypted Connection: SSL

Outgoing (SMTP) Server

Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com

Port: 25 (or 587 if 25 is blocked)

Authentication: Yes

Encrypted Connection: TLS

User name: Your email address

Password: Your password

it works!!!! finally imap on my outlook account

Jan 14, 2014 5:26 AM in response to Aquaftm45

Hello all

Re Adding outlook to your Mac/Setting up outlood on your mac

I am a not techie simple user and want to share my experience.

I have a mac book pro with microsoft office.

I could not add an email account to microsoft so that I could put in the incoming and outgoing details provided

by my ISP

the outlook software simpley froze/stopped/ the expected window did not appear

after 2 days of trying and reading blogs and forumns I found a message to update the software on

your machine from microsoft.

I bought my mac 2nd hand 1 year old on Ebay. Even though the microsoft s/w was widows 2011 it was not the latest with all the patches and updates.

So here is what to do

Go to help in the outlook app

click 'check for updates'

and let you machine get updated.\

the latest patch may well sort your issue.

how do i add the new @outlook.com to my 2013 macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.