Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what should i do to fix my mac pro after downloading mackeeper?

my safari is crashing and giving a huge error message thats sooo long i dont even want to post it. Only solution i found myself was to open a new user... but then soon enough it starts crashing again. Is http://www.clamxav.com safe and really the way to fix this problem?Also my computer hasnt slown down, just safari is the issue. Also been told my start up disks might need repair or replacement... is this true? where would i go? i live in las vegas, my mac is less than a year old or maybe alil over not to sure. And finally why when i send reports like it asks... i never get a response or help?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 6:19 PM

5 replies

Aug 8, 2016 5:28 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Already deleted mackeeper properly. Repairing permissions??? Uh, i posted a question because i need help and dont know what to do... if i knew what (repairing permissions) meant then i most likely would have done it.

I see a button for (This solved my question) and (This helped me.)

Wheres the button for (Unhelpful)?

Jun 4, 2013 7:29 PM in response to Community User

Merely downloading MacKeeper does nothing, installing it can cause operational problems, but actually using MacKeeper to do such things as "remove excess binaries" may result in the need to reinstall your operating system.

If you used MacKeeper to encrypt files or folders, un-encrypt them first. Then, drag the MacKeeper program icon from your Applications folder (not the Dock) to the Trash. You will be presented with this authentication dialog:

User uploaded file

After that, MacKeeper will display the following dialog:

User uploaded file

Provide a reason, or not, it does not matter. Click the Uninstall MacKeeper button, after which you will get another authentication dialog (first screenshot). Authenticate, then empty the Trash. MacKeeper will be history.

The effects of using it may not be though. If you are still experiencing problems, you may need to reinstall OS X to undo the damage it caused.

Jun 4, 2013 7:30 PM in response to Community User

Removing MacKeeper is actually quite easy these days... It should simply uninstall itself when you drag it to the trash.

As to your problems, it's hard to diagnose the Safari crash without the error message. Try holding down the shift key while opening Safari, to prevent it from loading any pages when opening. Then check the Extensions pane of Safari's preferences and disable any extensions.

Regarding the crash reports, those will almost never generate any kind of response. The only time they might is if you have a unique problem that Apple believes is a bug and they need help tracking it down. Then they may ask you for additional information.

what should i do to fix my mac pro after downloading mackeeper?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.