Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seeking to convert MXF files to MOV without using FCP

I take in a lot of video files using the Panasonic HPX300 and others using the P2 card. I want to convert these camera files into MOV without having to go thru FCP Log and Transfer. Thus, I am seeking a solid software program to do the trick.

I have found several, but I don't see where they are ingesting the Video MXF, Audio MXF, Clip XML and Icon BMP to convert the entire file properly. I have always worked under the opinion all of the files had to be mixed down into that final MOV file. For instance the PavTube converter will only accept the Video MXF.

I've attached a screen grab of the camera files as they appear once downloaded from the card onto my external so you can see the various elements. User uploaded file

Suggestions and technical assistance welcome. Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 7:14 PM

27 replies

Jun 4, 2013 7:38 PM in response to Shane Ross

Apple Pro Res 422 is the one I most use. The source format is AVCHD. I've tried resetting the target format to several different types but still no luck. FYI I have also posted a question about the original problem I'm having that has led me to seek out a 3rd party. My bad for not putting them all together but they are different issues.

The other issue is these files wont transfer using L&T without getting the error message: "m" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

That thread is under "Error message". Thanks.

Jun 5, 2013 5:16 AM in response to Shane Ross

Same thing. I'm beginning to wonder if something was wrong in the shooting process. Then again, why would some of these items transfer and other don't when shot on the same card with the same camera and at the same time? That leads to the question of a 3rd party software to make the transfer to an MOV format.

Shane, I went back and watched some of your tutorials and tried to find an answer. Excellent help, and this seems like something very odd.

What do you or someone here think about that transfer without going thru FCP? There has to be something else that would at least be worth a try.

Hope we can solve this, as these forums always have better answers than going thru Apple support or the stores. Thanks.

Jun 5, 2013 5:25 AM in response to scisport66

What would be your opinion of the Aiseesoft converter? When I downloaded a few others, they never took then entire "Contents" folder material, instead seeming only to take the video MXF and not "mixing down" all the elements. This would seem to be a potential fix, or at least something worth trying.

http://www.aiseesoft.com/mxf-converter-for-mac/

And as we go thru this, any idea just what the problem might be?

Again, thanks.

Jun 5, 2013 9:44 AM in response to scisport66

I'm not sure what is causing this. What version of FCP are you using?

The cameras are designed to interface with editing software. The MXF works natively in Avid, Premiere Pro, Vegas, Edius. FCP needs to re-wrap it to Quicktime, and sometimes in the case of AVCIntra, convert to ProRes. The only outside converters I know of are ones to compress for producers to review (Proxymill, for one) or are software that allow QT to read the MXF natively. Calibrated is one of the cheaper readers. There's also RAYLIGHT by DVFilm.

There are other converters like aunsoft and aieesoft (linked above)....but I haven't tested them.

The issue might be your version of FCP. If AVCIntra was shot, really the best version to use is FCP 7.0.3.

Seeking to convert MXF files to MOV without using FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.