Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Username and password rejected?

I have two accounts. 1 named > Guest. 2. named > Ryan

These two accounts switched names, guest used to be named ryan, and ryan was guest. I recently changed the now ryan to be administrator. I dont know when it happened, but now i wanted to switch them again and make Guest the admin and change name and then make Ryan (the now admin) into a guest account.

I am able to access the Guest account, but when trying to make changes... clicking the pad lock... it requires me to enter a user name and password. I have tried entering the Ryan's user name (Ryan) and password... but it shakes and is not accepted; also have tried Guest user name and password. Both are not working. theres no way it was changed by me and no way i forgot.

Created the 2nd account originally because the original's Safari was crashing, giving a huge and very long report, over and over. I beleive this all to be the result of downloading MACKEEPER. I already uninstalled it properly. And just recently on the now ryan account (admin) ran a program recommended by someone in the community called: MACSCAN.... it says, at least in the Ryan account (admin) that there was 17 spyware things found and removed... i want to run that program in the Guest account, and shoot make changes if i want to!

All my attempts to fix this have not worked. Thats the full situation. Is my computer done for? 😟

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 4:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 4:35 AM

First, switching names on accounts is an extremely tricky thing to do...you have to make sure every link and file has had the ownership changed appropriately, along with the permissions. You are far better off creating a whole new account.

Second, to fix the user/password issue, you can restart while holding the Command and R keys, so you are on the recovery hard drive, select Utilities, then select Terminal from the utilities. In the Terminal window type:

resetpassword

and press Enter or Return...that command has to be exactly as above, one word.

You will then get a Reset Password window with the users listed. Select the user you want to change, Ryan, and type the new password twixe, ignore the Hint field...click Save, and the OK to confirm the change. Then accept the changing of permissions at the bottom of the window. Click the apple left side of the menu bar and Restart.

If you want to change more than one user-password you can do that before doing the restart.

That should then set the user and password so they will work for you.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2013 4:35 AM in response to Community User

First, switching names on accounts is an extremely tricky thing to do...you have to make sure every link and file has had the ownership changed appropriately, along with the permissions. You are far better off creating a whole new account.

Second, to fix the user/password issue, you can restart while holding the Command and R keys, so you are on the recovery hard drive, select Utilities, then select Terminal from the utilities. In the Terminal window type:

resetpassword

and press Enter or Return...that command has to be exactly as above, one word.

You will then get a Reset Password window with the users listed. Select the user you want to change, Ryan, and type the new password twixe, ignore the Hint field...click Save, and the OK to confirm the change. Then accept the changing of permissions at the bottom of the window. Click the apple left side of the menu bar and Restart.

If you want to change more than one user-password you can do that before doing the restart.

That should then set the user and password so they will work for you.

Aug 8, 2016 5:28 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

Nope thought had solved it but it still hasnt.... that has only changed the password... i knew my password like i said above for sure...

Its when trying to make a change... when it asks for administators name and password... i enter it correctly then it shakes.

Aug 8, 2016 5:28 PM in response to Community User

Nope thought had solved it but it still hasnt.... that has only changed the password... i knew my password like i said above for sure...

Its when trying to make a change... when it asks for administators name and password... i enter it correctly then it shakes.

Username and password rejected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.