Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 does not have audio input option?

My MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 model does not have the dropdown box option to choose the audio input for my audio jack, alot of other users also have the same issue. I am currently running OSX 10.8.3 and still the option is not there. In "system information" under "audio" there is no other input listed apart from my MB's mic input. I need this input for recording music, my previous MB had this dropdown box with the option to select the input/output, but I don't have this anymore.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 1:52 AM

7 replies

Jun 7, 2013 8:08 AM in response to worshipwerner

Hey worshipwerner,

With the combination audio port, the microphone portion will automatically switched with a mic plugged in.

MacBook and MacBook Pro (13-inch): How to use the combination audio port for an audio input device

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3625

When you put a mini-stereo plug in the combination audio port, your computer will automatically detect the device and use the device as an analog output device. 

If you want to set up the port as an audio input device, you can manually switch from using the port as an output device in the Sound pane of System Preferences. Follow these steps:

1. Plug the input audio device into the combination audio port using the proper adapter cable.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. Choose Sound from the View menu.
  4. Click the Input tab.
  5. Change the "Use audio for:" menu selection from Sound Output to the Sound Input.
  6. The device type should change from "Internal Microphone/Built-in Input" to "Line In/Built-in Input."

Your audio input device is now ready to use.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

-Norm G.

Jun 7, 2013 1:56 PM in response to norm123

Hi norm123,

For some strange reason, on this specific MID 2012 model Apple has decided to not put in the option box to choose between audio input/output

"Change the "Use audio for:" menu selection from Sound Output to the Sound Input."

But then tonight I had this "brain fart" and plugged in my iRig connector which has the 3 audio rings on the tip (2 for stereo and other for mic)...And presto!!! In preferences the audio input automatically changed to external microphone.

Who knew!!??

Now to just get a cable with that type connector which I can use to record from my Mixing Console...mission impossible probably, but hey! Let's be hopeful and see 🙂

At least NOW we have an answer for this problem...it took me over 6 months...and a few trips and phone calls to the istore and Apple Support (and they could not help me with any answers)..

Regards

Werner

May 7, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Jaimealonso

Hi Jaimealonso,

There are 2 options for you (according to me)

1. You need to have a cable made with the 3 rings on the tip so to get the stereo headphone signal and one for sending a signal out (like with your earpods) I found this to be a mission and I also found that the sound signal is horrible when playing a guitar thru the iRig like that.

2. Get a descent interface where you can plug in a 1/4" jack and a XLR jack and also have an earphone and/or line out. (that's the option I eventually ended up with and it works great!)

All the best!

w

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 does not have audio input option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.