Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dock folder (view content as grid) icon not showing due to file preview.

I have a folder of aliases on my dock.

You can see a screenshot and folder source at https://github.com/willfarrell/Browsers

User uploaded file

I have an alias, BlackBerry 10, that links to a VMware file (that has a Finder preview). When displayed through the doc it shows an broken icon (file icon with warning symbols and app icon).

Is there a was to disable preview on an alias? or another workaround to have the icon appear properly in the dock folder?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 3:52 AM

4 replies

Jun 7, 2013 8:25 AM in response to willFarrell

Hey WillFarrell,

Thanks for the question. For this circumstance, I think it would be appropriate to assign a custom icon to these aliases. See the following article for information on how to do so:

Mac Basics: About icons in OS X

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2493

Changing an item's icon

1. Click the volume, application, folder, or file whose icon you want to paste onto another item.

2. From the File menu, choose Get Info or press Command-I to open the Get Info window.

3. Click the icon in the upper-left corner of the Get Info window to select it.

User uploaded file

4. From the Edit menu, choose Copy or press Command-C.

5. Select the volume, application, folder, or file whose icon you want to replace.

6. From the File menu, choose Get Info or press Command-I.

7. Click the icon in the upper-left corner.

8. From the Edit menu, choose Paste or press Command-V to replace the icon.

Note: you will have to do the above in Finder, not in the Grid shortcut on your Dock.

Thanks,

Matt M.

dock folder (view content as grid) icon not showing due to file preview.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.