Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Delivery Notification

Does anyone out there know of a OS X Mail app that that allows the sender of an email to get a notification when there mail is recieved. I know you can do this with Outlook on an exchange server, but is there a way to do this with OS X Mail.

PowerBook6,4 Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Jun 3, 2006 9:12 PM

11 replies

Jun 4, 2006 3:27 AM in response to Timsmith23

No. You'd need to use another eMail client software. Probably Entourage could do this.

But before you switch, think about the following:
Notifications can be disabled by the recipient.
There's no guaranteed way of making sure an email arrives. You can improve reliability by using GnuPG or something alike, but it will not replace a registered letter where it really counts.

I usually ask a simple, sometimes even non-related question in the end of important emails, so I have a chance of getting an answer if the recipient read through my whole email. If I don't get an answer in time, I always have a pretence to make a phone call.

Regards

Greg

Jun 7, 2006 10:02 AM in response to madconqueror

Hi madconqueror,

Seems to me

> Here> it states that the Windows version of
Thunderbird supports notifications.

that they are referring to new mail notification on your computer, not return receipt...

Regards,
John

G5Dual 2Ghz, 23 ACD, iSight Mac OS X (10.4.6) 20" Intel iMac

Message was edited by: John Dotson

You are correct about the Mac version (1.5.0.4) offering return receipt.

Jun 14, 2006 6:51 PM in response to Timsmith23

Gyazmail has a toolbar button to choose if you want each message to have a receipt. It's shareware though.

Mail Priority - http://home.tiscalinet.ch/david.frank/projects/mailpriority/ allows this for Jaguar and Panther, hope they release a Tiger version.

Chibi Ninja Mail (shareware) does this too for Mail under Tiger.

iMac DV SE 400Mhz Mac OS X (10.4.6) http://freewaremac.net

Jun 14, 2006 7:07 PM in response to Timsmith23

You can do this in OS X 10.2.x up to 10.3.9 with the add-on mailbundle mentioned earlier, but there is no compatible version for 10.4.x yet, if ever.

But it is dependent on the recipient's email server supporting this feature (MS Exchange servers so support it) and their email client (usually Outlook) allowing it, because each user can disallow return receipts, if they know how.

Mulder

Jun 14, 2006 11:01 PM in response to kioshi

Think I was mistaken, Chibi Mail seems to be a standalone client.

Gyazmail is a great program, but its search function *****.

When you receive a message that asks for a receipt, it shows you if you wanna send the 'read' receipt or not. It was my client of choice for months but the non-Spotlight search killed it for me.

Mail Delivery Notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.