Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Mac not auto-correct other languages?

In Text & Languages, under the Languages tab, I have 4 languages selected. These are the ones in which I usually write. The main language I use is German, and whenever I do a mistake, it corrects it from alone. While I'm typing basically.

This doesn't apply for other languages however. It does underline them in red, and if I right-click the word, it will suggest the right word. But it just simply doesn't auto-correct while I'm typing. Why not?

In the Text tab, I have set the option to automatically recognise which language I'm writing in.

Also, does the "dictionnary" or whatever it is save words? Basically like on the iPhone? If yes, is there a way to reset it?

Thanks 😝

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 6:07 AM

6 replies

Jun 5, 2013 8:30 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

It's running in german. I just restarted my computer (without changing the order of the languages), and weirdly enough it works. It doesn't work well however, or at least not as good as on the iPhone. I haven't done a restart in ages, maybe that was just what it needed. I notice how I'm doing small mistakes right now while I'm typing and it doesn't correct them, doesn't underline them. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. It seems to be very slow and I type fast, maybe too fast? In this box in here it doesn't correct anything right now, but I've set Safari to correct anything wrong and replace while typing, etc.

I just tried typing some stuff in german in here, doesn't change anything either. It doesn't want.

Jun 5, 2013 11:11 AM in response to Anon M

Anon M wrote:

I wouldn't mind having to hit a little button or a key to swap to another language, in case that's possible somehow?

I think you should be able to set the current spellcheck language in Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Show Spelling and Grammar.

If they eventually adopt the iOS system in OS X, you would of course switch the keyboard via the "flag" menu (or the coimmand + space keyboard shortcut) to switch the spellcheck.

Why does my Mac not auto-correct other languages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.