Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of a frequently occurring blue screen on my MacBook Pro Retina?

Even as I type this question, a blue screen is frequently popping up for a good 5-10 seconds. It happens when I start up this computer, when I adjust the screen in order to get a view, or when I move the computer. Nothing appears to be disrupted other than the screen itself, for I can type even when the blue screen is flashing. My computer is a 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina, and I've had is since September. Other than this, I've encountered no problems. Any help would be apprecitated, and I hope I'm not the only one who has encountered this problem.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 8:21 AM

Do you have an external monitor plugged in either the HDMI or one of the Thunderbolt ports?

The only time I get a blue screen on my 15" rMBP is when I plug in an external monitor. But, I only get the blue screen when I initially plug in the monitor or adjust the positioning from System Preferences/Display.

Have you tried a PRAM reset? If you do a PRAM reset, make sure you reselect your Macintosh HD as your startup disk. One of the functions of the reset is to clear your startup disk selection.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2013 8:21 AM in response to jake1297

Do you have an external monitor plugged in either the HDMI or one of the Thunderbolt ports?

The only time I get a blue screen on my 15" rMBP is when I plug in an external monitor. But, I only get the blue screen when I initially plug in the monitor or adjust the positioning from System Preferences/Display.

Have you tried a PRAM reset? If you do a PRAM reset, make sure you reselect your Macintosh HD as your startup disk. One of the functions of the reset is to clear your startup disk selection.

Aug 2, 2013 8:32 PM in response to jake1297

Nope.... no luck. Resetting the PRAM did not do anything to resolve the intermittent blue screen. I can't figure anything that triggers it. No motion or position of the cursor on the screen, no track pad action, no wireless mouse action, no set amount of time since the previous incident; it's not specific to a certain app. Sometimes I can get it go disappear with a mouse movement or click, sometimes with the ESC key and sometimes I just wait it out. What's going on?

Oct 1, 2013 8:34 AM in response to jake1297

Hello,

It may be partially related to the discussion, but it appears that my imac (2013, intel, OS X 10.8.5) has misbehaved in a very similar manner. Here is a brief account in case it could help in some way:

- perfect performance until today, when I tried to connect and external vga monitor;

- imac does not detect the monitor, connected via a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter;

- monitor works flawlessly, when connected to a dell laptop as an external display;

- imac conects perfectly via the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter to the d-sub port of a smart tv;

When the monitor is connected to the imac occasionally imac displays blank blue screen intermittently at random instants lasting about a second or so, once a few seconds. When the monitor is turned off the problem disappears.

I am unable to find out why the imac would not detect the external display and the intermittent blue screen when the external monitor is on is even more baffling.

How do I get rid of a frequently occurring blue screen on my MacBook Pro Retina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.