Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to view presentation in portrait mode?

I just bought Keynote for iOS, to present some of my app mockups, but was sadly surprised to learn that I can't rotate a presentation from landscape to portrait mode.

My canvas is 640x960.

Anyone know if Apple is aware of this, or if there is a workaround?

It makes no sense to me why this is not possible. With Apple making iPhones and iPad, it makes no sense that their presentation iOS app doesn't support rotation, and presentation in portrait format...So I have to create my mockups sideways?

I had hoped to be able to sit and view my Mockup on the iPhone, while I continue to work on it and make changes.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 10:47 AM

10 replies

Jun 8, 2013 7:50 AM in response to SuzMills

@SuzMills

No 😟 sadly. I'm still looking.

Having to save PDF files all the time, removes the abilities to create UI mockups that are interactive (and it's frustratingly slow to make changes, compared to just hitting save to update it using iCloud).

I wonder why Apple didn't support portrait presentations on iOS. Makes absolutely no sense.

Jul 30, 2013 2:57 AM in response to Gabriel Brodersen

I have just stitched together a work around to do this for me.

I was using Keynote to build a file containing some screen shots from a magazine I had a digital version of which I was reading on my iPad and wanted to keep for reference, these were in portrait mode.

As we know iPad keynote only let me build Landscape.

I save keynote files to iCloud and opened same file on my iMac, and using 'Inspector' changed slide size to 768x1204 and realigned screen shots to fit. I saved file again to iCloud and opened it again on my iPad. The new file had the portrait sized slides but still only displayed in Landscape on Keynote, so lots of wasted space and small pages.

I made a copy of this (Edit, Select, +) and used this to make a 'Portrait Template'.

So now I can create Keynote file on iPad with portrait sized slides. To see these in full screen just Open In Another App (Edit, curly arrow icon) and open in either GoodReader or PDF Expert. You can send either PDF or native Keynote, both work.

Sep 30, 2013 12:07 AM in response to Gabriel Brodersen

This is quite, quite ridiculous. One can only assume that the dev team in Cupertino spends their lives in landscape mode and just 'forgot' that some things look better in portrait.

I just bought the iPad version for a very specific version today which requires portrait display. I honestly thought it was operator error when I couldn't get my presentation to display in portratit mode. It took quite a while for it to dawn on me that Apple had actually produced a product which doesn't display in portrait - kind of like a really dumb app developer.

An incredible waste of time and money.

In the end I've displayed a Powerpoint pres as a PDF.

Feb 4, 2014 1:57 PM in response to Gabriel Brodersen

I would like to echo my desire for Keynote on the iPhone to support Portrait, it would turn Keynote into a truly all powerful presentation devices, particularly for demonstrating mobile application designs. As we know mobile is taking over the world. I suspect that given Apple's own design guidelines say ensure your App supports Landscape and Portrait where appropriate, that they are working on it, and it will be in the next release. Lets just hope it is soon, by Friday would be great 🙂.

May 21, 2015 6:10 AM in response to Sicole

It's funny, there is a whole world of people who work at Apple who do not understand that they don't buy products, we do!

So here is a thread from 2013, it is now 2015 and I want to do the same thing as everyone here. Specifically for an iPad. Can you rotate Keynote into Portrait Mode, I asked of an Apple "Expert" in the Covent Garden, London store this morning.

He said, leaping into Apple "Expert" mode - what you can do is use Apple Remote to trigger your Keynote presentation on a Mac from your iPhone. Three things wrong there, I don't have an iPhone, I don't want to trigger a landscape Keynote presentation from my Mac and that wasn't the question I asked.

Rewind. Can I rotate a Keynote presentation on an iPad - just like more or less every app on an iPad allows?

No.

So how about this. The clever guys at Apple USA get a fruit smoothie and sit down for 10 minutes and figure out how to rotate a Keynote display. Then sell it to me.

Thanks.

How to view presentation in portrait mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.