Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my external hard drive greyed out in finder and on desktop?

I've got a Drobo attached to my Imac and recently the icon has greyed out on the desktop and in the finder. When you try and open it nothing happens- no error, nothing. Finder just wont look at it. I've downloaded path finder and that can see it no problem. I can even drag a folder shortcut from pathfinder to the mac finder and I can get into the drive that way...has anyone experinced this before? Even better- wnyone know how to fix it? Many thanks!User uploaded fileGreyed out in Finder- no eject option either!

User uploaded file Greyed out icon on the desktop

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Drobo attached

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 10:54 AM

19 replies

Jun 5, 2013 12:37 PM in response to Ant Brownmoore

Hi Ant, Is it greyed out in disk utility? If you dont know how to access this, go into applications, utilities then disk utility, and see if its greyed out down the left of there. And also have you tried unmounting the drive and then remounting it? im sure you will have but thought i would mention it 🙂 If its there in disk utility try repairing the disk and verifying the disk permissions if u can, see if this does the trick 🙂

Jun 5, 2013 12:54 PM in response to ap1987

Hey ap1987, Nope- in disk utility it's lit up like a christmas tree indicaing that is mounted quite hapily. I have indeed tried a fair few unmounts and re-mounts but to no avail. I'm a bit nervoius about running a repair permissions on it (not only because I'd have to sit through the hours of verifying first 😉) becasue of drobo's funny file system- i really cant afford to loose anything on it! Also forgot to mention that it is shared across a network and everyone on the network can get access to it- just not the host machine's finder!

Sep 24, 2014 6:24 PM in response to Ant Brownmoore

I've got a very similar situation. It's a Toshiba external drive, formatted to Mac OSX Extended Journaled. I'm sharing it to other computers who can access the drive without many issues (only problem there is that sometimes files you're working on, cant be saved, and you have to resave them to the original location). However on my server machine (mac mini) the external doesn't show up in the finder, or on the desktop. It shows up normal and mounted in Disk Utility. When I run a verify or repair, everything checks out fine. It's a very new hard drive. If I'm in Disk Utility and I right click on the drive, I'm able to choose Open "Server Files" and see the contents of the drive. However when I do this, I can see then name of the file grayed out. I do have an eject icon as you can see below.

User uploaded file

Unmounting, remounting, rebooting, nothing makes this drive appear. I'm going to try the SMP and Pram resets and if that works I'll post back.

Real problem here is that since the drive doesn't show up in the finder, It's not being backed up via Time Machine, and I really need it to be.

Thanks for any extra advice.

Oct 29, 2014 12:43 PM in response to KoobcamUser

Has anyone found a solution to this problem I have the same thing occurring. Brand New external Hard Drive seems to work for a while then all of sudden goes gray on my desktop and shows gray in the finder. Once that happens I do a restart and the icon will not show on the desktop at all. The only way I have been able to fix this is by using disk warrior and repairing the directory on the drive and then all is good. All of this seemed to occur after I updated to Mavericks.

Why is my external hard drive greyed out in finder and on desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.