Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BT Cloud startup

Hi

I installed BT Cloud on my MacBook Pro.

Now ever time I log in BT Cloud opens.

It doesn't appear in the preferences as a start up

I also QUIT the application rather than just close it

I also UNCHECK the reopen windows tick box when closing down.

Can anyone help me identify how to stop BT Cloud opening as soon as I boot the Mac?

Thanks

Failing that, how would I remove BT Cloud completely?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 12:04 PM

12 replies

Jun 5, 2013 2:22 PM in response to Andrewknight

Hi,

In System Preferences > User and Groups > Your account > Login Items tab

Has the item been added here ?

The tick boxes here only hide the Start up of the app.

You have to highlight and use the minus Button to delete.

Deleting an App can sometimes be done if you re-run the Installer as this then gives you option Buttons which can sometimes include an Uninstall option.

The web site for the App is more likely to tell you the Instructions.

User uploaded file
10:22 PM Wednesday; June 5, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jul 12, 2013 1:56 AM in response to Andrewknight

Although Eric is correct in finding the BT video explaining how to remove BT Cloud from your Mac this isn't the whole story. Mac aficionados will always tell you that the Mac is not like the PC and apps do not install bits of themselves all over the place - sadly this is incorrect, especially apps that load themselves at logon but aren't well behaved enough to put themselves in your account login item list.

I always use a little app called Appdelete (no association) it's not perfect but it find most bits of the application you wish to uninstall, including PLIST's and other bits that may be lodged in your hidden Library folder without you realising. Just drag the BT Cloud application icon to Appdelete and you will see what I mean (see pic), a whole list of other items that simply dragging an icon to the Trash can will not remove. Another little app I love is Lingon - that shows you all those app that leave LAUNCHD items to control what bits they load at startup - when you have delete an app it's always nice to go look here to make sure it really has gone and you are not leaving redundant and broken links all over the place - does this remind you of Windows?! :0)

User uploaded file

Aug 7, 2013 3:53 AM in response to Andrewknight

The plist file is actually a hidden file which is located at /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/com.f-secure.sync.BTCloud.plist

It can be revealed and then removed easily enough using an app like 'invisibliX' - however, this is short lived, as launching BT Cloud unfortunately will only install the file back into the LaunchAgents folder again.. so annoying.

I personally find this infuriating.. a really bad decision on BT's part for allowing their Cloud application to take over my Mac in this way, so that I have no control over this. It would have been far better to give the user, control of startup at launch by simply adding the application to the Login items in System's User Preferences, and leave the decision to auto start to the user !

Because I cannot stop BT Cloud running at startup, I have now deleted it altogether as this seems to be the only solution to stop this happening. I would recommend using any application like AppDelete, AppCleaner or AppZapper to remove BT Cloud and all of it's associated files.

BT Cloud startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.