Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

previewing CD burnings for space

I have a number of recordings I want to include in a CD I will be preparing. How can I know when I am running out of room on the CD before I actually burn it? Put another way, how do I maximize the recordings I burn into a CD?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 1:10 PM

Hi,

Go to main menu > view > select show status bar. You will now be able to see length at bottom of screen.

Jim

10 replies

Jun 5, 2013 8:39 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Well, thiings didn't work out as I had hoped, but I did manage to burn a CD. Even so, I don't understand some things; for example:

(1) I was unable to follow your instructions. There was no "show status bar".

(2) I was given the choice of recording at many speeds. What "speed" means I don't know, because the disc I recorded at 1X sounds the same as the disc I recorded at Maximum speed. What does "speed" mean, and shouldn't it effect the quality of the recording? What about space on the disc?

(3) I don't how how much I can include on a CD. I used the AIFF format. I had been planning to burn as many poems on my disc as possible, but since I was unable to read its capacity, I only burned "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam," which is about twenty-five minutes. There was probably room for another half hour, but I just don't know.

(4) If I can eventually use your method, will it enable me to know (A) the capacity of the disc? (B) The remaining capacity as I keep adding sound files?

Jun 5, 2013 10:43 PM in response to Niku

Niku wrote:

(2) I was given the choice of recording at many speeds. What "speed" means I don't know, because the disc I recorded at 1X sounds the same as the disc I recorded at Maximum speed. What does "speed" mean, and shouldn't it effect the quality of the recording? What about space on the disc?

At 1X speed it will take 60 minutes to burn 60 minutes of music.

At 4X speed, it will take 15 minutes to burn 60 minutes of music.

An audio CD will have about 70 minutes maximum. Look at the total time of the playlist to see how big the playlist is.

(3) I don't how how much I can include on a CD.

When burning an AudioCD, you can burn a max of ~70 minutes (maybe a few minutes less). Doesn't matter what format the files are on your computer. They will all be burned as audio.

Look at the total time of your playlist.

(4) If I can eventually use your method, will it enable me to know (A) the capacity of the disc? (B) The remaining capacity as I keep adding sound files?

Go to iTunes menu View > Show status bar.

Or Command /

This shows the status bar (total times, # items selected, etc.) at the bottom of the iTunes window.

Jun 5, 2013 11:59 PM in response to Niku

Hi,

When burning a music CD, ITunes will convert the track to a format that you will be able to play in a CD / DVD Player. Files in AIFF be fine to burn to disc but if they are not already in that format you do not need to convert to that format.

Create a playlist of the music that you wish to burn to disc. Use status bar to determine total time. CDRs can contain up to 80 minutes. You should keep time just below the 80 minutes. Disc are write once so if you put only 25 minutes on the the disc, that is all you get. You can't add more later.

Jim

Jun 7, 2013 5:10 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris CA wrote:

At 1X speed it will take 60 minutes to burn 60 minutes of music.

At 4X speed, it will take 15 minutes to burn 60 minutes of music.

--

That was not my experience. I didn't time the burnings, but none of them took longer than, say, three or four minutes. Anyway, if the speed doesn't change the quality of the recording, why wouldn't you always use the fastest method?

++++++

An audio CD will have about 70 minutes maximum. Look at the total time of the playlist to see how big the playlist is.

---

That worked. Thanks for the tip.

++++

=====

(3) I don't how how much I can include on a CD.

When burning an AudioCD, you can burn a max of ~70 minutes (maybe a few minutes less). Doesn't matter what format the files are on your computer. They will all be burned as audio.

Look at the total time of your playlist.

----

Okay, now I know what to do: check total time of playlst after adding each file. Simple. Thanks for telling me what to do.

Jun 7, 2013 5:12 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Jimzgoldfinch wrote:

Hi,

When burning a music CD, ITunes will convert the track to a format that you will be able to play in a CD / DVD Player. Files in AIFF be fine to burn to disc but if they are not already in that format you do not need to convert to that format.

Create a playlist of the music that you wish to burn to disc. Use status bar to determine total time. CDRs can contain up to 80 minutes. You should keep time just below the 80 minutes. Disc are write once so if you put only 25 minutes on the the disc, that is all you get. You can't add more later.

Jim

--

Yes, I understand now. Thanks.

Jun 7, 2013 6:36 PM in response to Niku

Niku wrote:

That was not my experience. I didn't time the burnings, but none of them took longer than, say, three or four minutes. Anyway, if the speed doesn't change the quality of the recording, why wouldn't you always use the fastest method?

Not all discs are the same. Some will not work if burned at faster speeds.

1X speed is 300 kb/sec, 2x is 600 kb/sec and so on.

Jun 7, 2013 7:17 PM in response to Chris CA

There's no stopping me now. I just burned a playlist of 209 songs. I was trying to get an idea of the capacity of the discs I am using. That didn't work, because I used the MP3 format, and the disc took them all. Then I did the same thing using the AIFF format, but I was told that there was insufficient room on the disc. That's what I was waiting for, so I went ahead and burned 29 songs lasting 1.3 hours onto the disc. I also learned the answer to somerthing that had been bothering me. I knew that some of the 212 songs were not in the MP3 format, but I didn't know which ones. Simple, I was given the names of the three songs that weren't in that format.

I've been having other problems with my computer, but burning discs is no longer one of them. Thanks for your help. Oh, I also loaded four poetry LPs into my computer using an iMic; then, using the MP3 format, I burned them onto one disc. I've had those records for at least thirty years, and they've been accumulating scratches, etc. However, I have finally saved them fromm further deterioration by making them part of my iTunes library

previewing CD burnings for space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.