Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 11.3 wont run on snow leopard

I resently updated my itunes to 11.3. I' still running snow leopard on my computer, it's a old white macbook, now itunes is saying that is can't run on my machine. not sure what i can do to find a copy of lion or downgrade itunes back to 11.2 which was the ast version of itunes that worked.

MacBook 13" intel 2.16

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 5:04 PM

1 reply

Jun 8, 2013 6:23 AM in response to Borri

Howdy Borri,

You could always use Time Machine to restore the iTunes application to before you updated it. This section of Mac Basics: Time Machine found here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

Restoring specific files or folders

Choose Enter Time Machine from the Time Machine menu and the restore interface appears. You can literally see your windows as they appeared "back in time."

User uploaded file

You can use the timeline on the right side of the window to reach a certain point back in time (the timeline shows the times of all backups on your backup drive). If you don’t know exactly when you deleted or changed a file, you can use the back arrow to let Time Machine automatically travel through time to show you when that folder last changed.

Note: Dates in pink indicate the data resides on your Time Machine backup device. Dates in white indicate the data resides on your Mac. In OS X Mountain Lion and Lion, portable Macs have the feature of local snapshots. See thisarticle for details.

You can also perform a Spotlight search in the Time Machine Finder Window search field to find a file. Simply type the Spotlight search field and use the back arrow to have Time Machine search through your backups to find what you are looking for.

Before you restore a file, you can also use Quick Look to preview a file to make sure its the one you want. Highlight the file and press the Space Bar to bring up a quick look.

To restore, select the file/folder and click the "Restore" button. The file will automatically be copied to the desktop or appropriate folder. If the file you are restoring has another file in the same location with the same name, you will be prompted to choose which file to keep or keep both.

But I was looking at the requirements for the newest version of iTunes, 11.4, and noticed that it is compatible with Snow Leopard, so 11.3 is as well.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Macintosh System Requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel Core processor
  • OS X version 10.6.8 or later
  • 400MB of available disk space
  • Broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store

Given that, I have 2 suggestions.

1. Check your Applications folder or search the computer with Spotlight for iTunes and see of perhaps there is more than 1 version of the application on the computer.

2. I would follow this articles instructions or re installint iTunes in Snow Leopard.

iTunes: How to remove and reinstall the Apple Mobile Device Service on Mac OS X 10.6.8 or Earlier

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1747

1. In the Finder, locate iTunes in the Applications folder and drag it to the Trash.
  2. Move the iTunes icon to the Trash.
  3. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
  4. Enter /System/Library/Extensions and click Go.
  5. Locate the file AppleMobileDevice.kext and drag it to the Trash.
  6. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
  7. Enter /Library/Receipts/ and click Go.
  8. Locate the file AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg and drag it to the Trash. If prompted, authenticate with the administrator password.
    Note: This file may not be present in Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; skip to the next step if this is the case.
  9. Restart the computer.
  10. Choose Finder > Empty Trash and restart the computer.
  11. Download and install the current version of iTunes.
  12. Connect your device to the Mac again and open iTunes

Take care,

Sterling

itunes 11.3 wont run on snow leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.