Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

aperture wont recognize serial number

I changed to a new iMac, copied all my software across and now every time I launch the computer, Aperture asks me to register.

I enter the Old serial number, then it asks for the correct one, I enter the upgrade one and then it asks for the original. I enter the old one again and it works OK.

When I reboot I have to go thrpough the whole procedure again.

I don't have my Aperture 1 or 2 disks anymore, only my Aperture 3 upgrade.

P_ain in the proverbial.

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), aperture wont recognize serial numb

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 5:21 PM

Try the following:

-Quit Aperture.

-Go to your MacintoshHD and open the folder "Library", then "Application Support", then "ProApps".

-Remove the File "ProAppsSystemID" to the Desktop, if it exist and restart Aperture.

Reenter your serial number, hopefully for the last time.

If this did not help:

Sometimes Aperture writes the "ProAppsSystemID" into the temporary directory "/tmp".

Check if you can find it there: Launch the "Terminal" application (from Applications > Utilities) and write into the Terminal window:

open /tmp

If you see "ProAppsSystemID" there, move it into the folder:

Your Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > ProApps

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2013 5:21 PM in response to flexolink

Try the following:

-Quit Aperture.

-Go to your MacintoshHD and open the folder "Library", then "Application Support", then "ProApps".

-Remove the File "ProAppsSystemID" to the Desktop, if it exist and restart Aperture.

Reenter your serial number, hopefully for the last time.

If this did not help:

Sometimes Aperture writes the "ProAppsSystemID" into the temporary directory "/tmp".

Check if you can find it there: Launch the "Terminal" application (from Applications > Utilities) and write into the Terminal window:

open /tmp

Jun 5, 2013 7:08 PM in response to firstlaunch

Hi, Thanks for the above, unfortunately none works.

The only thing under ProApps is internal plugins folder. Had a look in the Users Library_app. support, no proapps but there is Aperture - all that is in their are Adjustment chain, Import presets and Metadatasets.

I have a suspician the serial numbers are rfor V3 upgrade and V2.

When I launch and eneter the serails numbers per my 1st message, go to about aperture and it has the Licensed to Ron Frew, FlexoLink and V3 serial number. Version 3.4.5 and 3200900090000000.1 Digital Camera Raw 4.06 - Build 694.4 - Yes updated to OSX 10.8.4 and made no difference.

Did the open /tmp in terminal, nothing.

What has happened since I chaqnged from my MacPro to my new iMac is that the Macs name has changed from ronfrews MacPro to karenfrews iMac, both have same Apple ID. The MacPro was sold with erased drives and a clean install of OSX with no reference to the old machine setup.

I am waiting for the new MacPro.

One other problem that has occurred since changing machines is that iWork does not work & this is a real disaster. My numbers spreadsheets cannot be accessed-could not be opened - keynote and pages the same - either from the cloud or my Mac. I even made a clean installation from my original IWork 09 disk and then did the upgrade through Software Update - still doesn't work.

It seems anything that is disc related has turned to toast (these do not appear in my app store purchases). Final Cut Pro, iLife etc are fine as they are ex the app store.

Its almost as if when I restart there is no reference to the previous use of Aperture.

Hope there is more you can do. I don't want to purchase Aperture and iWork again unless it is absolutely necessary.

Looking forward to your reply

Best Regards

Ron

Jun 6, 2013 12:17 AM in response to flexolink

Ron,

you do need all serial numbers - Aperture 1, 2, and 3, if you always bought upgrades. Do you have all serial numbers? And do you enter the serial numbers from an Administrator's account? Installation is best be done as an admin.

If you do not have all numbers, you need indeed to contact Apple with a proof of purchase:

HT1861 Replacement Serial Numbers: Apple Support Communities

If you do not have reinstalled Aperture but migrated it, I'd strongly recommend to reinstall it from the original Aperture 3 installer and then to upgrade, you can reinstall using the Trial version as described in this support article Aperture 3.4: May quit unexpectedly on launch after updating

Download the Aperture 3.1 Trial.

After reinstallation upgrade immediately to the latest version using Software update. Don't try to run the Trial version.

Léonie

Jun 6, 2013 12:36 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie

Thanks for your reply and thanks to everyone else for their help.

I telephoned AppleCare and finally did as described

Gave them my V3 upgrade serial number and my V2 upgrade number, after a lot of trolling through my system, reinstalled off of my upgrade disk (has a full version), aplle gave me a new serial number and it all works perfectly.

Also got similar help with iWork '09, was given a list of prefernces, caches etc to remove, did a rinstall and all is sweet.

Good to see there are people willing to help and appreciate all the help I received

Best Regards

Ron

Aug 3, 2013 8:48 AM in response to firstlaunch

Thank you very much, it works for me.

open /tmp

aperture wont recognize serial number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.