Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up a roaming and wired network together

I want to set up a roaming and wired network in one. I have 2 AE base stations and a cable modem. I have multiple "stationary" devices/systems that I would like to connect via ethernet and multiple wireless devices. My current network is solely wireless with the 2nd AE extending the network wirelessly. All was well until I recently acquired an AppleTV - intermittent at best when streaming music and very slow with video. And that was with only a handful of devices (iphone and ipod touch) pulling on the network. I need to know how to manage multiple ethernet connection points (and additionally, future-proofing my network) for devices such as iMac, VoIP, game systems, DVRs, Apple TV, etc., in addition to incorporating the wireless requirements. What ethernet hardware will I need (switch? hub?)? And how should I configure from the modem into the network? Thanks for any help.

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 9:09 PM

A "roaming network" is a wired network. You are simply connecting additional wireless access points to your wired LAN. This is a completely normal way of implementing what you seek.

It is preferable to have "stationary" devices wired, since wireless is subject to a variety of phenomena that can result in unreliable performance. This is especially true for streaming video.

And how should I configure from the modem into the network?

The usual setup is

Cable from the overhead line > ISP's modem > Extreme > Ethernet switch > wired devices (AppleTV, VoIP, desktop Macs, etc).

The other bandwidth - demanding use will be VoIP. Make it part of your wired LAN as well. Both Vonage and Ooma insist that you connect their supplied interface box directly to your modem. The reason is that they do not want customers complaining about poor voice quality; interruptions and dropouts that make conversation difficult. Installing it in the manner they recommend gives VoIP traffic precedence over the remainder of your network, by taking all the bandwidth it wants for phone calls and parceling out the rest. However, you don't have to install it this way and it will work if you choose to install their box after your router. Just remember that if you are streaming movies, downloading files, and performing other network-demanding tasks your phone call audio may begin to stutter.

For these reasons Vonage and Ooma will want you to place their device immediately after the modem, and use it for your router. This means your Extreme will need to be configured as a bridge, preventing you from using many of its features. In that case your installation will look like this:

Cable from the overhead line > ISP's modem > VoIP > Ethernet switch > wired devices (all of the above, plus your Extremes, now configured as bridges, which will serve as wireless access points).

Don't bother with an Ethernet hub. Switches are preferable and have supplanted hubs. They have become very inexpensive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2013 9:09 PM in response to 92Skins

A "roaming network" is a wired network. You are simply connecting additional wireless access points to your wired LAN. This is a completely normal way of implementing what you seek.

It is preferable to have "stationary" devices wired, since wireless is subject to a variety of phenomena that can result in unreliable performance. This is especially true for streaming video.

And how should I configure from the modem into the network?

The usual setup is

Cable from the overhead line > ISP's modem > Extreme > Ethernet switch > wired devices (AppleTV, VoIP, desktop Macs, etc).

The other bandwidth - demanding use will be VoIP. Make it part of your wired LAN as well. Both Vonage and Ooma insist that you connect their supplied interface box directly to your modem. The reason is that they do not want customers complaining about poor voice quality; interruptions and dropouts that make conversation difficult. Installing it in the manner they recommend gives VoIP traffic precedence over the remainder of your network, by taking all the bandwidth it wants for phone calls and parceling out the rest. However, you don't have to install it this way and it will work if you choose to install their box after your router. Just remember that if you are streaming movies, downloading files, and performing other network-demanding tasks your phone call audio may begin to stutter.

For these reasons Vonage and Ooma will want you to place their device immediately after the modem, and use it for your router. This means your Extreme will need to be configured as a bridge, preventing you from using many of its features. In that case your installation will look like this:

Cable from the overhead line > ISP's modem > VoIP > Ethernet switch > wired devices (all of the above, plus your Extremes, now configured as bridges, which will serve as wireless access points).

Don't bother with an Ethernet hub. Switches are preferable and have supplanted hubs. They have become very inexpensive.

Jun 6, 2013 4:45 PM in response to John Galt

John,

Thanks for the guidance. With a second Extreme can I connect it to the Ethernet switch or does it need to be directly connected to the first Extreme before the switch?

I think I'll try the first option with Ooma as part of the LAN. Most calls come via iPhone anyway.

Probable dumb question: Will the LAN connections allow device interaction (as my wireless setup now does) such as Airplay between AppleTV and iMac, printing from IOS devices, etc?

Thanks,

Tim

Jun 6, 2013 8:05 PM in response to 92Skins

... With a second Extreme can I connect it to the Ethernet switch or does it need to be directly connected to the first Extreme before the switch?

It does not really matter. Anything connected to the Extreme's LAN ports, including the switch, will be clients on your network.

All a switch does is to provide more LAN ports, in addition to the Extreme's three built-in ones.

Will the LAN connections allow device interaction (as my wireless setup now does) such as Airplay between AppleTV and iMac, printing from IOS devices, etc?

Yes.

Here is the result of a quick search regarding installation of the Ooma behind a router, with responses that agree with my preference to have it that way: http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=5399

Substitute "Extreme" for "Linksys" in that particular topic and you'll get the idea.

You may need to change the Ooma's default settings to do that, but you should be able to find instructions on that forum easily enough.

Setting up a roaming and wired network together

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.