Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i find duplicates in iPhoto?

i took a ton of photos while in Paris both with my Nikon D7000 and my iPhone I imported them into iPhoto 11 and how they're all jumbled together but I think there are duplicates, how do i find them?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 7:19 AM

There is no built-in tool in iPhoto to help recognize duplicates, you will need external tools:

Have a look at Old Toad's post here: Re: how to find duplicate photo s in i photo

6 replies

Sep 3, 2013 2:37 PM in response to Old Toad

I set up test library and it works perfectly. so when I went back to the "real" library I get following

Iphoto seems to be unresponsive or is busy performing some operations if photo stream is enabled in iphoto please turn it off. I have photostream turned off, so that it is not it. I did notice that when I pick Iphoto as the library to review it says 0 pics where I have over 22,000 in that library. In my test library it showed 6 pics.

Any thoughts?

Sep 3, 2013 10:37 PM in response to njmck1

Apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

iPhoto 8 (09) and earlier- run the options indicated

User uploaded file

iPhoto 9 (11) and later- run Option #4 to rebuild the database

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager (iPhoto 8 or earlier or IPhoto 11 and later) and launch.

2 - click on the Add Library button and select the library you want to add in the selection window..

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the

File ➙ Rebuild Library (iPhoto 8 or earlier)

or

Library ➙ Rebuild Library (iPhoto 9 or later)

menu option to rebuild the library.

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

how do i find duplicates in iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.