Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer from MBP to MBA?

Hi guys,

I've just replaced by MBP with an MBA & understand that I can transfer data from one to another via Ethernet. Seeing as the MPA doesn't have an Ethernet port, I was wondering on the following:

I will possibly never use an Ethernet - USB or Thunderbolt adaptor again once I have run the update. I also note that the USB units appear to be very poor & tend to fail after a few months of use. On that basis a Thunderbolt - Ethernet adaptor would seem logical. However, both units have a thunderbolt port, can't I just link the two this way to transfer my data?

Thanks in advance.

Al.

MacBook Air, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 8:28 AM

2 replies

Jun 8, 2013 12:24 PM in response to Alister_Smith

Hello Alister,

Its great that both computers have a Thunderbolt port, becuase the Migration Assistant can use just the straight up Thunderbolt port to Migrate the date between the 2 computers.

How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4889.

There are several ways to transfer information from one computer to another with Migration Assistant:

• FireWire or ThunderBolt (if your Mac has these ports)
  • Wireless (Wi-Fi) or Ethernet (if your Mac has an Ethernet port or adapter)
  • Time Machine backup or other disk

All the very best,

Sterling

Jun 8, 2013 6:38 PM in response to Alister_Smith

As Sterling said, yes, you can cconnect the two computers with a Thunderbolt cable and use Setup Assistant (or Migration Assistant). However, TB cables are rather pricey - will you be purchasing a device that will use TB in the near future? If not...

Migration Assistant and Setup Assistant can also use a TimeMachine or clone backup to migrate data to a new computer. With so many people migrating from a computer that doesn't have Thunderbolt to a new computer that doesn't have FireWire this has become my recommended method of migration.

Transfer from MBP to MBA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.