Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cd won't eject from macbook ?

cd will not eject from macbook?

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 9:09 AM

Try restarting while holding the trackpad button down, if that doesn't do it open Terminal (it's in your Utilities folder) and type drutil eject

13 replies

Jun 6, 2013 1:42 PM in response to David Lewis1

Does the CD/DVD start to come out and then gets sucked back in and reappears on the desktop? I had that happen with a MacBook. It turned out that the metal case behind the plastic cover above the slot was slightly bent down. When the CD tried to eject it would hit the metal and get pulled back in. Putting a flat blade screwdriver in the slot and gently twisting it to move the metal case up allowed it to eject. Don't put it in too far you only want to bend the case not the drive.
The case can get bent down by picking it up with your thumb pressing down on the case above the slot.

Jun 21, 2013 4:39 PM in response to David Lewis1

I have had a similar issue. I used the track pad method and the terminal command. What really ended up working shocked me. I took a standard pair of pliars and placed them near the far edge of the cd tray and applied light pressure upwards (in attempt to unbend the "hidden bend" in my BRAND NEW macbook....), I hit eject, the CD popped out instantly and here I am telling you about it.

Nov 30, 2013 3:59 PM in response to David Lewis1

David,

I have a 2008 Macbook Pro and I had the disk replaced twice from Applecare for the same reasons. Now that Applecare is long gone, the problem started again. After much research, I figured out that it's the felt lips on the front of the DVD drive that is stopping the DVD from ejecting. i realize there is a purpose to these lips - keeping dust and foreign matter out and whatnot - but the drive doesn't function with these lips as they are. They are so tight the DVD can't get past - "let me out you felt lips!," said my son's Madagascar DVD. I used needle nose plyers and pulled out the lip all the way around. Be careful as it easily rips but you'll get it in time. My drive works perfectly now. If I have ruined the drive by allowing dust to get in, so what? I'll have to replace it but I'd have to replace it anyway with these felt lips.

I hope this helps.

Oct 3, 2014 10:22 PM in response to David Lewis1

I tried all the methods above, pliers, bobby pin, and etc. Didn't work. For the last attempt, I get another disc, and forced it in the slot, and did a little 'sweeping' above the disc that's inside, hit eject button, and it worked! The drive made horrible noise though, can't be good for the computer, guess I will have to use an external drive from now on.

Oct 4, 2014 4:12 PM in response to liuarnie

Nickycee said:

>the drive doesn't function with these lips as they are. They are so tight the DVD can't get past<

Yes that has been my experience. If the drive makes healthy "eject sounds" my usual fix is to cut a square of thin firm plastic, like the kind that strawberries or the like comes in. Then I slide that by the side of the CD/DVD that's binding and hit eject. The plastic guides the disk past the obstruction and it easily ejects. I've also folded it over and slide it by both sides.

Poking objects can damage the drive mechanism but if you're careful that can work. They're just very delicate.

cd won't eject from macbook ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.