Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine cannot complete backup sparse bundle already in use

I'm getting an error message: time machine unable to complete backup, sparse bundle already in use?

Please advise, I need to find the "yellow brick road", guess it wouldn't be cool for a guy to click red slipper heels together?

Help? Much appreciated....

Macmanusider

Time Capsule 3TB-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Time Machine

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 1:41 PM

This article should help:

Time Machine: Troubleshooting backup issues

My guess is ... never mind, it will depend on what other message(s) you have received.

5 replies

Jul 8, 2013 8:54 PM in response to sberman

What constructive purpose do these smart mouth answere provide? I have been through the "more like this" discussions and the mostly have answers referring you to "more like this". The troubleshooting links refer to old and outdated systems. After all these years, doesn't anyone have an intellrgent suggestion? Is there any way to make the Time Machine backups dependible? It's not worth the trouble to have to reconnect by USB, reboot the time machine, etc. every couple of weeks.

Nov 1, 2016 9:40 AM in response to sberman

got the same problem after updating to MacOS Sierra. Since then Time Machine app reports that the "sparsebundle is already in use".

The backup is placed on a local WD MyCloud. That worked now pretty wonderful over the last 2 years since I use my cloud.

An since the Sierra update I have either to disconnect the network volume and reconnect or reboot the Mac or at least reconnect with Change user.

Why the **** Apple makes changes to a running system.

Is anbody out there who can help with a fix?

Time machine cannot complete backup sparse bundle already in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.