Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2006 MacBook Pro and Lion

Late 2006 MacBook Pro (2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo w/ 3 GB RAM).

I'd like to run Lion on it so I can use iCloud to sync calendars, contacts etc between it and my Mac Pro, iPad and iPhone

MacBook Pro is old I know, but I'm not at the stage of being able to replace it. It's currently running Leopard. I'm getting different answers from Apple as to whether it could run Lion or or not.

Anyone had experience running Lion on an older machine like this?

Thanks!

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 2:35 PM

9 replies

Jun 6, 2013 2:37 PM in response to nickjb

Upgrading to Snow Leopard

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store. Access to the App Store enables you to download Mountain Lion if your computer meets the requirements.

Snow Leopard General Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel processor

2. 1GB of memory

3. 5GB of available disk space

4. DVD drive for installation

5. Some features require a compatible Internet service provider;

fees may apply.

6. Some features require Apple’s iCloud services; fees and

terms apply.

Upgrading to Lion

If your computer does not meet the requirements to install Mountain Lion, it may still meet the requirements to install Lion.

You can purchase Lion by contacting Customer Service: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes international calling numbers. The cost is $19.99 (as it was before) plus tax. It's a download. You will get an email containing a redemption code that you then use at the Mac App Store to download Lion. Save a copy of that installer to your Downloads folder because the installer deletes itself at the end of the installation.

Lion System Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7,

or Xeon processor

2. 2GB of memory

3. OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)

4. 7GB of available space

5. Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.

Jun 6, 2013 2:55 PM in response to nickjb

nickjb wrote:

MacBook Pro is old I know, but I'm not at the stage of being able to replace it.

10.6.8 is the best thing for that old machine, don't hobble it going to 10.7 and having to buy all new versions of a lot of your PPC software your currently running.

I assume you mean Snow Leopard 10.6 and not Leopard 10.5, if 10.5 you certainly can upgrade to 10.6.

OS X 10.4/10.5 need to upgrade, 10.6.8 ok still

If you want the features of 10.8 and above, buy a new Mac with it, that way you'll get some good life out of the software, that 2006 machine is about to die soon.

Jun 6, 2013 3:12 PM in response to nickjb

The reason for wanting to upgrade is simple. With 2 computers and 2 devices that I use at different times and for different uses, I need to be able to sync new phone #'s, emails, adresses, appointments, invoices, estimates, etc etc as I'm working in my studio and then out on location.

Actually I won't be using the laptop very heavily (mostly email, iCal, Daylite, Lightroom, Photoshop and Capture One and iTunes), so losing some functionality in Lion might not be a huge deal. I don't have any PPC software, so that's not an issue for me (maybe an ancient version of Microsoft office??).

I'd love to buy a new laptop, but in my business, if I'm going to do that it would only really make sense to buy a loaded retina MacBook Pro and I can't justify that expense.

Jun 6, 2013 3:35 PM in response to nickjb

nickjb wrote:

I'd love to buy a new laptop, but in my business, if I'm going to do that it would only really make sense to buy a loaded retina MacBook Pro and I can't justify that expense.

Unfortunately Apple has other plans regarding your hardware upgrade cycle, the only want wealthy consumer type customers who can keep up with them and their annual OS X release cycle.

If you want more long term product stability, like a decade of support, then it's a Windows machine.

You could install Windows 7 into BootCamp and go on like that until 2020 when support is scheduled to end.

Jun 6, 2013 4:07 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

They are not objective but based on his personal dislike of OS X.

Hello, I've been using Mac's since day one and my reg date here is only a year later than yours. 🙂

He is also not a business person who knows anything about the evalution of new or replacement assets.

Right, that's why half the business computers in the world are still running a 12 year old version of Windows XP and the other half is in the process of buying new Windows 7 machines to replace them.

My friend has a Pentium 4 with XP still going.

Me, I've replaced 4 Mac's in that time frame for a lot more than the $1000 he initially paid for it.

Apple makes no bones about it that they are a luxury technology company, they even dropped the name "Computer" from Apple Computer to just become Apple.

Why your living in denial of the fact is a mystery, Apple certainly isn't and neither am I.

My position is, the right tool for the job. Even Steve Jobs used a Linux renderfarm when he owned Pixar.

Late 2006 MacBook Pro and Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.