Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music files missing/hidden in folder on network hdd

Hi all,

I have setup my home net work with a iMac (mountain Lion) backed up by a TimeCapsule and at the back of the TimeCapsule I have a 2TB networked external HDD. My iTunes library is located on this HDD, I take care not to start up iTunes before this networked external HDD has propoerly mounted to avoid any conflicts with links to my itunes library files and folders.

The other day I noticed a few missing files (the dreaded exclamation mark !), not too bad a figured, I located a few manually but reached some that does my head in...... Out of the whole album there are two files "missing", the other ones play as they should. When I try and locate the missing files the folder comes up empty.....

I have even checked the songs that do play in the same album....they dont show up either, even though they still play in iTunes (yes, they are all located at the same location). The album was originally ripped from a CD and I don't use iTunes Match or Genius.

I have tried to find the files by:

1."open in finder" - files missing / whole folder empty

2."through finder and located the drive and folder" - files missing / folder empty

3."copy file location from "get info" and paste into "go to folder" - the file temporarily appears in the finder window but dissapears shortly after / folder yet again empty.

4. I check the folder "get info" from my finder and it says "zero bytes"

5. I can't use Search because its on an external HDD and there fore not indexed

6.I have tried to copy the folder to the desktop but still shows empty....

7. I have tried to "organise" my library, still no change.

What the..xxx..is happening..?

From what I can gather, the files are actually there but not visible through the finder window (even though the folder appears to be 0 bytes).

The problem being that I can't locate my missing files because I cant see them any more......

Am I missing something (like show hidden folder on a Mac) or has it got to do with anything else...? How can I fix it..? I have found posts that relate to windows users forced their W7 to show hidden folders but nothing yet on Mac.....

Help.

//Fred

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 3:53 PM

5 replies

Jun 7, 2013 12:57 AM in response to figgehedberg

So....I have now also tried to display all hidden files/folders by following...

• Launch Terminal, located at /Applications/Utilities/.
  • Type or copy/paste the following commands. Press the return key after you enter each line.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

• Plenty of hidden files shows up but still nothing in the album folder.

Oct 20, 2013 6:30 PM in response to alexh666

I was lucky to be able to use a PC, that after trying numerous times actually read the external hdd, I quickly copied all files over to a backup hdd and recovered all files. After that I ended up in contact with Western Digital about the incident and they recommended to completely erase (7-pass erase) of the hdd, which ended up taking over 5 days to do. They gave me no reason as to "Why" it would have happened but if I erase and reformatted of the hdd and the problem reoccurred they recommended to get the unit replaced.

I was lucky to recover all my files.....keep trying on different computers if you can, and copy what you can get hold of. The 7-pass erase will delete pretty much every trace of information on the hdd with no chance of recovery.

So far since the incident its been running ok but I not longer trust the hdd to be stable. Not a simple nor quick process / solution I'm afraid.

Good luck!

Once you have recovered your files (or as many as you can get hold of) and ready to erase the hdd:

(THIS WILL ERASE ALL YOUR DATA, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP BEFORE PROCEEDING)

Connect the drive directly to the Mac, open Disk Utility.

Select the drive and click on the "Erase" tab Select the "7-times zeros" to completely erase the drive.

Once the erase have completed format the drive to your selection.

Music files missing/hidden in folder on network hdd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.