Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My applications won't launch. Can anyone please help?

Some of the apps will launch such as the apps that came with my Mac Book Pro and Steam, but others only work after the time I install them, such as League of Legends and and emulation program. When I restart they just barely show then immediately close with no error message and I've tried several troubleshooting issues such as using the disk utility and looking at the security settings. I honestly can't figure out what's wrong and if anyone could help I'd be very thankful.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 6:48 PM

League of Legends is a beta...and therefore probably shouldn't be taken as an indication of anything wrong with your Mac itself. See:

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=10894145

You really need to tell us WHAT applications are quitting if you want help. Which emulation program are you running? (Do you mean something like VMWare Fusion or Parallels?) And also, what login items do you have running at startup - sometimes those can cause problems with other apps. See System Preferences->Users & Groups and then click on the Login Items tab and tell us what you see (or post a screen shot).

Have you done any updates lately or added any new applications?

You can also post the crash logs from Console. Applications->Utilities->Console. Sometimes it's possible to ferret out the problem by looking there and there are lots of people here who are very good at figuring them out.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2013 6:48 PM in response to imageaudio18

League of Legends is a beta...and therefore probably shouldn't be taken as an indication of anything wrong with your Mac itself. See:

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=10894145

You really need to tell us WHAT applications are quitting if you want help. Which emulation program are you running? (Do you mean something like VMWare Fusion or Parallels?) And also, what login items do you have running at startup - sometimes those can cause problems with other apps. See System Preferences->Users & Groups and then click on the Login Items tab and tell us what you see (or post a screen shot).

Have you done any updates lately or added any new applications?

You can also post the crash logs from Console. Applications->Utilities->Console. Sometimes it's possible to ferret out the problem by looking there and there are lots of people here who are very good at figuring them out.

Jun 7, 2013 8:25 AM in response to PaddyD

desmume-0.9.9-mac.dmg is the emulator that isn't working. I put it on my flash drive and transfered it to my mac desktop and it wouldn't work. I downloaded on my desktop however and it did work, so I think the coimputer has someone corrupted the app. Also another application called FallenEarth opens and allows me to log in to play the game, but wheb I try to launch it it never opens and just appears on the dock as if it's open. Here is a screenshot of my login items: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3816/8979011002_38dda01e77_c.jpg

This computer is about a week old and everything on this computer is new, so it will be hard to narrow it down to a particular application if that's what is messing up my computer. Here's what pops up when i try to launch DeSmuME 10:22:03 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x6d06d].org.desume.DeSmuME[523] 10:22:03 AM kernel: exec of /Volumes/DeSmuME v0.9.9/DeSmeME.app/Contents/MacOS/DeS 10:22:03 AM Dock: no information back from LS about running process

Jun 7, 2013 10:55 AM in response to PaddyD

Interesting enough I deleted desume and redownloaded it and now it's working. I restarted my computer and it still worked. I will wait a ciuple of days to see if it stops working again, but FallenEarth and League of Legends still isn't working. Please still look at my last post and the errors it gave me for desume though. It might give others insight as to what might be happening with my other applications. If the fix to the problem is reinstalling evrything that doesn't work I would, but would rather not do that unless there's good information that points to that because I have bad internet and it takes ridiculous amounts of time to download these games that aren't working and to install them for me. I hope my information helps further the investigation!

Jun 7, 2013 10:50 AM in response to imageaudio18

Are you running the same OS on both the laptop and your desktop? I doubt the computer is corrupting the download - I'd suggest that the first download may have been corrupt. Try wiping it out and downloading it again.

Read the Wiki: http://wiki.desmume.org/index.php?title=Faq#The_emulator_crashes_.2F_freezes

Did you try booting in Safe Mode and seeing if you can duplicate these issues?

As for Fallen Earth, all I could find was: http://forums.gamersfirst.com/topic/303071-need-help-game-crashes/

http://forums.gamersfirst.com/topic/299087-fallen-earth-does-not-launch-after-hi tting-launch/

Again - it's another beta, so stability issues and bugs are not uncommon.

It would seem that your issues are generally with free, beta software. On the whole, I would say these sorts of apps are far more likely to be buggy and problematic than *most* paid software - or free software that is supported by a paid development team (think Firefox and the like). Of course, we can all think of paid software that had more than a few bugs too!! At any rate, I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying that there is nothing wrong with the new MBP - it's simply the software you're trying to run, none of which seems to be beyond the beta stage. I'm sure that's not the answer you were hoping for, but from here, that looks like the problem.

Jun 7, 2013 10:56 AM in response to imageaudio18

If Desmume is now working, then my first suggesting in my last post may prove to be correct. The errors you posted for Desmume are not helpful as I don't even know where you're copying them from - they're certainly not complete. And they won't be helpful at all in sorting out what's wrong with the other applications, especially as Desmume is now working.

Post the entire crash log for one of the other applications. However - as I noted, they're both betas and may simply not work, in which case you should contact the developers.

Jun 7, 2013 11:02 AM in response to imageaudio18

Yes, unless you're having issues with a whole lot of other (non-beta) software, I'd strongly suspect that the problems lie with the software, not with the computer. Beta software is by its very definition a work in progress. The best thing you can do is talk to the developers. If they're good developers, they want to know the problems you're seeing so they can fix them. They may want your crash logs - or the problem you're having may be something they're already aware of and working on. You won't know unless you contact them - and here's hoping that they respond to you. Some are very good about that - others, not so much.

Jun 7, 2013 11:02 AM in response to imageaudio18

The reason the games are beta is because they are under development. Try searching the developers web site for information. If you'd like to pursue it further you can, try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode. Shut down the computer and then power it back up. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application unistaller. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - About

My applications won't launch. Can anyone please help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.