Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

intel 520 ssd negotiated link speed 1.5 Gbps help

hi guys,

got an ssd for my mid 2009 15" macbook pro which is the intel 520 240gb.

i also have the latest version of mountain lion 10.8.4 from what i remember.

so, the problem is im always getting a 1.5Gbps (or SATA I) speed instead of a 3.0Gbps no matter what fix i tried.

i've spent quite some time searching how to fix the negotiated link speed but to no avail.

i've tried reseting the nvram, shutdown instead of restart, updating to the latest firmware for both the ssd and the sata controller(latest EFI).

im just wondering if anybody here with the same setup was able to get the 3.0Gbps.

thanks in advance

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 8:03 PM

7 replies

Jun 7, 2013 12:04 PM in response to MarkVis

Those machines had specific issues with SATA II (3GB). Apple locked them in to 1.5GB speeds. They released a firmware update to enable SATA II speeds (as lots of customers were complaining about it)... but they clearly stated they would not support issues related to SATA II devices. When you say you got the latest EFI update... is this what you were referring to:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3561

Jun 7, 2013 12:19 PM in response to JoeyR

thanks for responding joeyr, the efi is what i meant when i said i updated the firmware on the mac. i've also been reading on how the nvidia sata controller has issues with detecting sata 3 ssds. from what ive read if the ssd was sata 2 native then the controller will able to tell that its sata 2. but it doesnt know what sata 3 is so it will run it as sata 1. OCZ another ssd manufacturer was able to patch their sata 3 ssds to work with the controller simply by just updating the firmware. i wish intel had done this as well.

intel 520 ssd negotiated link speed 1.5 Gbps help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.