Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to decrypt external hard drive so it can be re-partitioned

I can't repartition an external hard drive which has been encrypted as a time machine backup drive. So I am trying to remove the encryption. But I can't figure out how to decrypt the drive either. I know it is still encrypted since it requires the password when I mount the drive. I have successfuly erased all data at the partition level. But there is no ERASE tab at root level. When I try to re-partition it shows a greyed out "current" and the only thing I can do is to create a 2nd partition the identical size as the first.

I have tried ejecting and remounting. I have tried 2 different macs. Repair disk shows "it appears to be ok". Any suggestions?

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 9:20 PM

7 replies

Jun 6, 2013 11:17 PM in response to cwbrandt2

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open the OS X Terminal utility and run the following command:

diskutil cs list

The output of this command will look like a hierarchical tree. Locate the long alphanumeric code next to the words "Logical Volume Group" (this code is called a "UUID"), and copy this code to the clipboard by highlighting it and then pressing Command-C.

2. Run the following command to destroy the logical volume group, replacing "UUID" with the alphanumeric string from the first command.

diskutil cs delete UUID

When done this will clear the volume and allow it to be formatted and otherwise customized. See the following screenshot for what this should look like (the two commands are underlined in blue:

User uploaded file

Jul 21, 2016 5:01 PM in response to cwbrandt2

Use terminal on your Macbook then type in command diskutil cs list, look the volume of your external hard drive that is encrypting and copy it, and type the following.

diskutil cs revert and paste the volume/UUID, If the volume is corect the terminal is asking for your passphrase/password that you use for encryption. Your data is safe, it will only decrypted your external hard drive.

how to decrypt external hard drive so it can be re-partitioned

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.