Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

easy setup 1280x720

Hi!

I just got a new camera, with wich i record in 1280x720, 4MBps, 25p.

Is this HD?

And, more important, what "easy setup" should i choose for my final cut pro sequence, in order to make the importation on my time line easy and quick, and render the effects with efficiency as well...?

Thanks!!!

Oh, and if you know, what export format do you recommand for a big screen public projection?

Thanks in advance!!!

Marinette

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 8:07 AM

13 replies

Jun 7, 2013 8:28 AM in response to CMarinette

Technically, any video with a resolution larger than standard definition is "HD." But 1280x720 is not what is typically called "full HD," which is 1920x1080.

As for which easy set up to use; what format/codec does the camera use to record? What format are you planing to use for editing?

For export, it all depends on which formats will the playback system that will be used at the public projection will work with. If you don't know, find out.

-DH

Jun 7, 2013 10:28 AM in response to Shane Ross

Hi,

I watched the video (thanks for the link), but it's not telling me which format i should chose for my project (easy setup, or video and audio setup) before importing the films into the project... From what i understand, it doesn't talk either about my specific type of format: MP4, 1280x720, 4Mbps, 25p....

My camera is a Canon Legria HFR46.

I record on a SD card, so yes it's tapeless.

Do you think i should convert my films before importing them into FC? If so, in which format?

If not, what preferences should i use for the setup of the project?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jun 7, 2013 10:55 AM in response to Meg The Dog

yes thank you very much!

I was thinking to use MP4 for recording (yes, as opposed to AVCHD), because i need to make sure that i will have enough space on my SD card, before importing into my computer (i was'nt sure of that, so i prefer to take lower quality)...

FYI, I have 3 SD card, (2 of 32Go, and 1 of 8Go), and i need to shoot at least 20 hours, maybe 30.

more over i thought AVCHD was really too much (as too good quality) for the use of this film... (but maybe i'm wrong?)

At the end, i will make a standard DVD (for a public projection on a big screen), but it's not a professional use for TV...

Jun 7, 2013 11:10 AM in response to CMarinette

I think you may want to rethink this. Normally, you want to capture in the highest quality possible, edit in as lossless a format as possible, and then deliver the presentation version in the format required for projection.

This is is even more important when

CMarinette wrote:

At the end, i will make a standard DVD (for a public projection on a big screen),

But this is all up to you.

If you are sticking with MP4, download (free) MPEG Streamclip from

http://www.squared5.com

and convert your source files to ProRes LT. Your files sizes will increase many times over during the conversion, as the video will be "unpacked" from the highly compressed MP4 format into a format suitable for editing.

MtD

Jun 8, 2013 12:35 AM in response to Meg The Dog

ok,thank you for your help!

What quality would you recommand for filming then? (which would make a good enough image quality, without taking too much space on the SD card?)

Here are my choices: If i film in AVCHD, i can chose 50P, MXP, FXP, or LP...

And if i film in MP4, i can chose 35 Mbps, 24 Mbps, 17 Mbps, or 4 Mbps...

And then do I still need to convert to ProRest LT? Or another format better?

Jun 8, 2013 3:27 AM in response to CMarinette

>>If i know i'm going to put the film at the end on DVD Pal (720x576), what is the point in filming in a much higher quality?<<

To get the best image quality possible in the end product, you need to start with the highest possible quality in the beginning (during acquisition). Did you ever wonder how those old commercially produced VHS tapes looked so good, even on VHS? The started with the best quality possible (usually on film). Of course, if image quality isn't a concern, shoot in whatever format that suits you.

-DH

Jun 10, 2013 1:05 AM in response to Meg The Dog

OK! I decided i will film with MP4, 17mbps at the end.

I did a test with this quality: i downloaded Mpeg stream clip, and converted the clip in apple pro res.

Then i did a test on final cut, and exported ... it's all good to me.

Just a question... After conversion, my clips are in apple pro res, 1920x1080... what easy set up should i choose for my final cut project? (i choosed "apple pro res 422" but then when i put the clip on my time line, it still has to convert it to the right format for the timeline... it doesn't look like a problem but is that normal?)...

Thanks again!

easy setup 1280x720

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.