Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I open time machine I can click on any time, arrow, or file and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

I cannot get my time machine to work properly.

When I open the program I see the back-up dates on the right and click the date I would like to access. Nothing happens.

Next, I try to flip through the dated files but can't get past the first one.

The arrows do not highlight and therefore I cannot scroll to the date I need to restore an item.

What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to reinstall the software?

Any suggestions are welcomed

Thank you

Lonnie Schwartz

Time Machine

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 10:05 AM

1 reply

Jun 7, 2013 6:02 PM in response to lonschwartz

It sounds like you're starting from a Finder window showing something that wasn't backed-up on any of those backups.

Try either selecting your Computer or internal HD in the sidebar before going into Time Machine, or pressing Shift+Cmd+C after getting there.

You might want to take a look at Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #15A, especially the pink box there.

If that doesn't help, post back with a bit of detail; are you still on Lion (10.7.x), what sort of Mac do you have, where are your backups (external HD, Time Capsule, Network Drive, etc.)? It might help to post a screenshot, too.

When I open time machine I can click on any time, arrow, or file and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.