Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! New 1TB Seagate SSHD won't boot in my 2010 MBP

So I bought a new 1TB Seagate SSHD (hybrid) drive for my 2010 13" MacBook Pro and after cloning and installing it won't boot. I am stuck with the folder with the question mark on it. Here were my steps:

1. Mount the new drive into a SATA USB dock and connect to MacBook

2. Formatted new drive as OSX Extended Journaled

3. Used SuperDuper to clone existing drive

4. Rebooted MacBook holding down Option key and selected the "external" Seagate drive. It booted just fine.

5. Swapped out drives and it won't boot.

It doesn't feel or sound like the new drive is spinning up.

I put my old drive back into the MBP and it boots up fine.

With no drive in the MBP but the new one in the dock I can hold down the Option key and it shows up as a bootable drive

Any suggestions at all???

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 8GB RAM, 500 GB HD

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 11:30 AM

21 replies

Jun 10, 2013 5:15 PM in response to Michael Napier

TAKE IT BACK TO WHERE YOU GOT IT ASAP AND SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE

Similar problems here. I have a mid '09 MBP with 256 gb running Mtn Lion or whatever the latest is. I upgraded to the Seagate 1TB SSHD and got all kinds of weird errors. I've seen a Kernl error on startup, numerous hangs and spinning pinwheel cursors, and an odd error where I couldn't transfer files to another drive. I also see the Apple logo switch back and forth between it and the circle slash icon that looks like the Ghostbusters logo without the ghost. I'm sorry I did not document the specific errors or know what these things are actually called.

So I decided to do a fresh install of the OS. The latest disc I have is for Snow Leopard. So I booted to that startup CD, zeroed out the SSHD via Disc Utility, and installed Snow Leopard. Everything seemed fine with startup. But I got the pinwheel cursor during some light Internet surfing. I update the software to the latest Snow Leopard. No change. Then I upgrade to Lion via the App Store. Upon reboot, I get the Kernl error I had seen before and my cursor's been pinwheeling since before I began to type this on my iPhone.

I wish I had known all of this would have happened 2-3 months ago when I began this process. My next step is to crack the shell back open and reinstall the original HD. I'll just use the SSHD as an external drive.

I'm sorry I couldn't provide anything to help you get this working. But knowing that it WON'T WORK might prevent you from throwing it out the window or at the dog.

Jan 15, 2014 8:58 AM in response to Michael Napier

For what it's worth, after the fact...

I have a late-2008 MBP running 10.6.8. I had replaced the original HD with a Seagate Momentus 750 GB hybrid and was fairly well satisfied with that; boot times were generally pretty good, though it seemed I had to endure the occasional beachball, freeze, etc. I put those down to a couple of PPC apps I'm still running. Then I discovered the Seagate 1 TB hybrid would fit physically with its 9.5 mm height, and jumped at that - always looking for more space, as my MBP is literally my home/travel office. (I was willing to trade the speed loss of a 5400 rpm drive for the speed gain of the SSD part of it.) The minute I installed it, I started having all the glitches mentioned by many in this thread - mostly long spinning beachball pauses, a couple of freezes, etc. I finally, after reading up as much as I could stand, decided to try a purely traditional spinning-disk HD again and found the 1 TB Travelstar by HGST. Plain and simple, and it spins at 7200 rpm. I put that in, and for the past 24 hours the MBP has been running like a champ, nary a beachball in sight. I have no solid idea why the Seagate SSHD hybrid(s) hiccup they way they did, but I'm sticking with ol' tried and true.

Mar 4, 2014 9:49 AM in response to Michael Napier

I am expecting to receive my Seagate SSHD tomorrow, along with 16 GB Ram upgrade from amazon. I found this link, which details the install and software cloning. Mid 2012 MBP 13". Hopefully it works, I have not found a similar explanation or instructions during my search:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-replace-your-macbook-pros-hard-drive-with-an-ss d

I will re-post how it went in a few days for anyone interested.

Mar 7, 2014 1:24 PM in response to Michael Napier

Success! To boot into recovery mode (I have Mavricks), hold down Command-R (not the Option key). After you install Mac OS, you have the option to restore via a Time Machine backup, which I did. After complete I rebooted and held down the Option key to boot from the external containing the new drive and it worked like a charm. I then swapped out the hard drives. Works great. Also upgraded the RAM to 16 GB. One difference from the directions in the link, I didn't have the option verify disk permissions, or to repair disk permissions (option was greyed out). But I did verify disk and repair disk.

Overall extremely pleased. I hope this helps.

Help! New 1TB Seagate SSHD won't boot in my 2010 MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.