Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending Network

So, I'm trying to extend the wireless signal from my AirPort Extreme (4th Gen) with an AirPort Express (last gen). I took my AirPort Express out to the patio where the WiFi connection with my iPhone is slow at best, non-existent at worst, plugged it in and did a factory reset. Once it was up, my iPhone immediatley recongnized the new base station and asked if I'd like to extend my Airport Extreme network, to which I said yes. It went through the set-up fine and, boom, green light. But, still only one bar of wifi on the phone, which keep dropping in and out. I use the AirPort utility to check the settings on the Express. It was set up to extend a network, not create, using the AirPort Extreme, said it had a good connection, showing 54Mbps, and all seemed well. I reset everything a few times, double and triple checked the settings, but nothing. I'm sitting less than 3 feet from the Express and my WiFi is no better or worse than it was before, as if the thing isn't even there. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or need to change?

Thanks,

G

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 12:06 PM

1 reply

Jun 7, 2013 1:02 PM in response to ggarthe

I took my AirPort Express out to the patio where the WiFi connection with my iPhone is slow at best, non-existent at worst

The AirPort Express needs to be located at a point that is about half way between your AirPort Extreme and the patio.

The reason for this is that the AirPort Express can only extend the quality of signal that it receives. If it receives a poor quality signal....which you have confirmed is the case on the patio.....then it will extend a poor quality signal, with little or no improvement gained in your wireless performance.

Once you have the Express in a good location, you need to power off the iPhone, wait a minute or two, and then power it back up to see if it will identify and connect to the signal of the AirPort Express.

Extending Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.