Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone else having a problem with their iPhone 5 USB Cord not charging unless by holding it?

Got my iPhone 5 in Septmeber or October, and now the USB cord isn't working properly. I have to manually hold the cord just to get it to charge. Anyone else having this problem? I've had to go buy a new one that cost me $52 after tax. Seriously?!

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 11:53 AM

11 replies

Jun 17, 2013 1:16 PM in response to ramanak

or maybe Apple made a crappy product that continues to plague users with problems? Since this is one of many threads I've read indicating problems with either charger or charging/sync cable problems.

I have similar problem as megan_adams97 where my iphone 5 won't charge unless I'm holding the cable and I've only had my phone for a month. This is my second cable.

Jul 1, 2013 8:53 PM in response to samantharenee04

Getting this error message again, looks like I have to get my 3rd cable. "Ramanak" is correct, the cord becomes twisted, the connection at the very end bulges out (see below of my cable)

My first cable (connected to my Mac) was giving me the following error "Because a USB was drawing too much power..." I thought the issue was my new phone - this was back in October. These Lightning cables are flawed, I personally never had this issue with older 30 Pin connections.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jul 19, 2013 6:51 AM in response to samantharenee04

I got my white iphone 5 in March 2013 but now it always have problems in charging. I've bought 4 charger on ebay, apple store and in a normal store, none of them worked more than 1 month!!! I tried to keep them new and not bent, Apple created crap and I paid $700 for it. This *****, I hope somebody can solve my problem cause I don't want to keep buying chargers. 😟

Jul 20, 2013 6:01 PM in response to tonefox

Food for thought.

Since the introduction of the Lightening port, have we seen very many threads started about damage or defects to the port on the device?

Before you answer, I'll go ahead and assume the number is signifcantly lower than posts about damaged or defective 30-pin ports. I'll also assume that there was some planning involved in this change. Replace five cables at $19 (less for 3rd party) each, or replace one iPhone for $100 - $700.

Send ypur thanks to apple.com/feedback

Anyone else having a problem with their iPhone 5 USB Cord not charging unless by holding it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.