Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMEI shows unit as replaced

I received an unlocked iPhone 4s as a christmas gift from the US. (I live in the Philippines.) When I got it it was still in its original plastic and sealed. I have recently had trouble with it (Updated ios, got the battery glitch, did the forum repairs, got the recovery mode errors, did the Apple Support KB tips, got error 40 and 1601, now just want to wipe the phone completely.) and am trying to see if a repair is possible.

1) Philippine service centers won't touch it, because it is not an "in-country" purchased phone, and is out of warranty. That's fine, I get that.
2) When going to the self-help site, there is an "IMEI checker" when trying to submit a ticket. I punched in the IMEI found on the outside of the box, and it shows that the phone has been replaced.
3) It's never been replaced. Ever. I had never even brought it in for repair in any store, in any country, until yesterday, to an accredited shop.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible that this is an error?

2) What possible recourses are there for me for repair? I'd like to avoid sending the brick back to the States and then pay a kidney for a repair/replace. (Might as well get another phone!)

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 12:05 PM

Those IMEI sites are not accurate. Call AppleCare. They might be able to help. Another thought is that the person who gave it to you had it replace/exchanged with a new one at some point.

Your options in the Phillipines seem to be nonexistent via Apple or an authorized service center. You might want to go to a third party shop, but that might bring other headaches.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2013 12:05 PM in response to iamthebear

Those IMEI sites are not accurate. Call AppleCare. They might be able to help. Another thought is that the person who gave it to you had it replace/exchanged with a new one at some point.

Your options in the Phillipines seem to be nonexistent via Apple or an authorized service center. You might want to go to a third party shop, but that might bring other headaches.

Jan 8, 2014 12:47 PM in response to hc98br

When a phone is replaced by Apple either in or out of warranty, the original must be returned to Apple. Apple then re-builds them and gives them new serial numbers, then uses them for service replacements. If a phone with a serial number that has been "replaced" is in circulation, that means that it was stolen from or not returned to Apple in the first place.

The box, of course, makes no difference at all.

Apr 17, 2015 8:33 AM in response to feraydoon khan

If it was under an Apple service replacement then the old phone was supposed to be sent in to Apple as warranties or out of warranty exchanges are just that, exchanges of old for new or factory refurbished. If the person did not send in the old one, it is likely to have been reported by Apple or the carrier (if they handled the service) to the North American co-op black list (all carriers in the USA, most or all in Canada, and most in Mexico now participate in the NA blacklisting database). In that case, the phone will never be allowed to connect to any NA network.

IMEI shows unit as replaced

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.