Indeed, ebooks can play audio.
Can iBooks play audio or video included with books?
Yes, enhanced books can now automatically play audio or video included with the book using iBooks version 1.3 or later.
Add an audio file
- Choose Media from the Widgets pop-up menu in the toolbar.
- Drag an audio file from the Finder or the Media Browser to the widget.
- In the Interaction pane of the Widget inspector, do any of the following:
- Make playback start over when the file finishes playing: Choose an option from the Repeat pop-up menu.
- Choose how users play the audio file in the completed book: Select an option under Show Audio As. You can select one of the following:
- Button: Readers tap a button to start and stop the audio file. If the file is stopped before it finishes playing, readers tap the audio file again to resume playing the file from where it left off.
- Scrubber bar: Readers can use playback controls to play the audio file.
- Image: Drag an image to the widget. Readers tap the image to start the audio file. If readers tap again, the file plays from the beginning.
Important: Images can’t be larger than 25 megapixels (5000 x 5000 pixels) or 50 MB.
Thank you Allen. I need to clarify my question. I am not publishing my book via IBooks Author and the files I want to insert into the book are popular songs that likely can be purchased on ITunes. I'm writing a Memoir so these songs have meaning and I would like to expose them to anyone interested in at least hearing a soundbite. I realize for legal reasons I can not just insert a song from my own Library into a book, but can I provide a link to the ITunes Store or is it possible to share that short sound clip within the book itself without violating any copywright laws?