Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question about changing ID3 images

Hey everyone. I recently changed my podcast artwork. I use Powerpress, so changing the MAIN artwork was quite easy. So for this question, I am referencing only the individual art that is displayed with each individual episode.

I know that for iTunes to recognize a change in episode artwork, that it cannot have the same name as the previous. The new artwork embedded does have a new name but is it the artwork that needs a different name, or the entire mp3 that needs a new name? Once artwork becomes embedded as ID3 I'm not sure if it loses its name altogether. So I need to know specifically what needs a new name for iTunes to update my episode art? Pic name or mp3 name?

Thanks for your time!

Posted on Jun 8, 2013 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2013 8:00 AM

The business with the new image name applies only with the main podcast image which appears in the Store and is embedded in the feed.

The image which appear when you subscribe and play an episode is actually embedded in the mp3 file and doesn't at that stage have a name: you don't need to change the mp3 filename. Just embed a new image - make sure to delete the old one first - and re-upload the media file. People who subscribe subsequent to this will see the changed image, but people who have already subscribed and downloaded the episode won't, of course.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2013 8:00 AM in response to apfrey

The business with the new image name applies only with the main podcast image which appears in the Store and is embedded in the feed.

The image which appear when you subscribe and play an episode is actually embedded in the mp3 file and doesn't at that stage have a name: you don't need to change the mp3 filename. Just embed a new image - make sure to delete the old one first - and re-upload the media file. People who subscribe subsequent to this will see the changed image, but people who have already subscribed and downloaded the episode won't, of course.

Jun 8, 2013 8:12 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks for the response Roger.

So just to be clear, I have changed the images embedded in my MP3s. I then re-uploaded them to Libsyn using the replace function. So I now have MP3s with the exact same name as before, but with a new image embedded. Are you saying iTunes will see the image change in each episode even though the name of my MP3 is exactly the same?

So far, iTunes has immediately updated my main podcast image but all my individual episodes still have the old image.

You can probably see what I'm talking about by searching iTunes for Netflix Junkies. You'll see that 'episodes' has different artwork than 'podcasts' in the search results. Do I just need to wait it out? Or rename my mp3s?

Keep in mind, there is another podcast with the same name no artwork. This is not my podcast but someone else's.

Thanks again!

Jun 8, 2013 8:23 AM in response to apfrey

This is the image you get when susbcribing, downloading and playing your latest episode:

User uploaded file

This is the same as the main image showing in the Store and referenced in the feed, and I assume is the one you want. As I say, people who have already downloaded the file won't see this but will see the original.

The Search results are showing a different image; I don't know how these are detected, but presumably it must be extracted from the media file. As this has now been done I doubt there is any way of changing it, though new episodes will of course show the new image.

Jun 8, 2013 8:35 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

That's interesting. So the individual episodes are already updated but iTunes search lags behind or maybe never updates? I'd love to know how to fix that if its even possible. It could definitely confuse people looking to browse through episodes prior to subscribing on iTunes.

I wonder if deleting all mp3s then re-uploading them with slightly different names would fix the issue. Maybe that's just silly. But I'm an OCD perfectionist and this is bugging me.

Thanks for your help Roger.

Jun 8, 2013 8:44 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Good point!

One more question. I personally use the Pocket Casts app on my iphone for all podcasts. The artwork in this app has not updated, even though I have deleted my subscription and re-subscribed. Do you know where this app is getting it's episode info? Do I just need to wait, or have I overlooked something?

Sheesh, it's not easy doing something as simple as changing artwork, is it?!

Question about changing ID3 images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.