Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Library, Rebuilt multiple times but errors continue

I use iPhoto 2011 on my late 2009 I iMac, currently running 10.8.4. Problems with my iPhoto library began a few months ago while I was still running 10.8.3. It started off by asking me to rebuild the thumbnails after about every 2 to 3 launches of iPhoto. Ultimately, when I tried to launch iPhoto, it started to rebuild the thumbnails then it presented me with a dialog box that said the library was damaged and could not be repaired. I would launch iPhoto with the Command and Option held down, and if I then chose to "Repair" the library, it would proceed to repair the library but then it would tell me that the library was still damaged. So I would then relaunch iPhoto with the Command and Option keys held down again, and this time I would choose "Rebuild." I could then begin to use iPhoto. And if I quit and relaunched iPhoto they would then tell me it wanted to rebuild the thumbnails again. I would rebuild the thumbnails and then it would be normal again for another 2 to 3 launches of iPhoto (no errors or thumbnail rebuilds during those 2-3 launches), and then it would start asking to rebuild the thumbnails again, and eventually it will tell me the iPhoto libraries damaged again.

Yes, I have run disk utility, from Cmd-R at boot time, and performed a repair disk (it never finds anything wrong) and I would do a repair permissions, and then reboot. But that does not solve the problem. I don't have any other problems with my iMac in any other applications.

I've heard that there's a third-party utility that can completely rebuild in iPhoto library better than iPhoto itself can. But the only reason I have not resorted to that utility is, from what I've read anyway, it will not copy over my calendars and cards. To me, that's a huge limitation that keeps me from using it at all.

I don't know if it matters or not, and honestly it never created problems for me over the last several years as I used Snow Leopard and then Lion and then Mountain lion, but I have my iPhoto library stored in the following path:

Macintosh HD > Users > Me > Public > iPhoto Library

Permissions on that Public folder a set to "Read/Write" for "me" and "staff" and "everyone."

Also note that my iPhoto Library is 227GB in size — I've got a lot of HD video stored there.

The reason I put my iPhoto library in that path is because my wife uses this iMac in their own separate user, which uses Japanese as its primary language. I want to be able to access that iPhoto library from my user, and she wants to be able to access it from her user (obviously not at the same time, of course).

I also have Aperture 3.4.5 installed, and I access it only rarely from my user. I have it set up to share my iPhoto library.

So in light of this, can anyone tell me why my iPhoto library is getting corrupted every 3 to 4 times I launch iPhoto? And how can I fix it once and for all?

Thank you.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Late 2009, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM

Posted on Jun 8, 2013 7:23 AM

14 replies

Jun 8, 2013 7:36 AM in response to JDW1

The reason I put my iPhoto library in that path is because my wife uses this iMac in their own separate user, which uses Japanese as its primary language. I want to be able to access that iPhoto library from my user, and she wants to be able to access it from her user (obviously not at the same time, of course).

That is the reason for the permissions problems you are encountering. Sharing your iPhoto library in the public folder is not supported under MacOS X 10.8.x. It used to be possible in earlier MacOS X versions, but is no longer possible.

To be able to share your iPhoto library with your wife, the best option would be to put the library onto an external disk or a separate disk partition, with the "Ignore ownership on this volume" enabled. The procedure is explained in this support article:

iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

To repair the permission problems created by accessing the library from two different user accounts in the shared folder, iPhoto's "Repair Permissions" is preferable to repairing permissions with Disk Utility, for Disk Utility does not understand the permissions in the library package.

Regards

Léonie

Jun 8, 2013 3:24 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for the detailed reply, Lèonie.

I just now googled up this Apple knowledgebase article.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1198

I honestly would preferred not to use an external drive simply because my wife and kids won't always think power on that drive and yet I know they would still open iPhoto in that condition, which would give them an error when they started it. So your idea of creating a separate partition seems to be a better idea. Even so, that Apple knowledgebase article doesn't talk about a "separate partition" but instead suggests a "sparse disk image" to be placed in the Public folder.

But why wouldn't it work to just put the iPhoto library inside the public folder and leave it at that? Why the need for a sparse disk image?

What are the advantages and disadvantages to following Apple's advice is creating a sparse disk image in the Public folder versus your suggestion of creating a separate hard drive partition?

Can I create a separate partition on my iMac's internal 1TB hard drive without being forced to reformat it?

Thank you,

James

Jun 8, 2013 5:26 PM in response to Old Toad

External hard drives also make a noticeable amount of noise, and even if I don't put it in front of my face, the bright LED does light up the room at night. No, I don't wish to buy a quiet, LED-free HD simply to host my iPhoto Library. Suffice it to say I just do not want to use an external hard drive.

With that said, the questions I put forth to everyone in my previous post still stand unanswered.

I look forward to your detailed replies.

Thank you for your time.

Jun 8, 2013 8:48 PM in response to JDW1

What are the advantages and disadvantages to following Apple's advice is creating a sparse disk image in the Public folder versus your suggestion of creating a separate hard drive partition?

The sparse disk image will have to be mounted before using it, just like an external drive. Partitioning your drive may make the access a little bit slower. But I find this is barely noticable.

Before MacOS X Mt. Lion it was not possible to add a partitionto the system drive without reformatting and erasing the whole drive, so if you were using an earlier system, adding a disk image would have been less trouble than reinstalling everything.

You can use Disk Utility to resize system partition and to add a second partition. But make a backup before you try such a critical operation.

Regards

Léonie

Jun 8, 2013 10:41 PM in response to léonie

Léonie, thank you for your reply.

But wouldn't a sparse disk image still have advantages over an internal hard drive partition, or even over an external hard drive?

You see, if I partition my internal drive, I would need to leave enough space in that partition to accommodate future photos and videos because the partition size doesn't expand automatically. But wouldn't a sparse bundle grow in accordance to the data I add to it?

Also, isn't there away to automatically mount a disk image at login?

Yet another reason I like using my internal drive is because it's faster than even a fast FW800 external. And so, if a sparse disk image is faster than a partition, then it seems to be yet another reason to use a sparse disk image.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thank you,

James

Jun 9, 2013 12:09 AM in response to JDW1

You see, if I partition my internal drive, I would need to leave enough space in that partition to accommodate future photos and videos because the partition size doesn't expand automatically. But wouldn't a sparse bundle grow in accordance to the data I add to it?

James, when you create your sparse bundle, you would also have to specify a maximum size. But it will only take up as much space, as it needed to accomadate the current content. That is right.

Also, isn't there away to automatically mount a disk image at login?

If you add your sparsebundle to the list of login-items in your user account (System Preferences > Users&Groups > Login Items) it will open outomatically, when you sign in. To add a login item, click the "+" button below the list of items.

User uploaded file

If one user has mounted the disk image, it will appear as mounted for all users, that also will log in.

I use sparse bundles primarily to have encrypted folders, that will require my password to look inside. This way, I can put them into a shared folder, but only I can read them there. But I noticed, that the sparse bundles occasionally can no longer be opened, after I accessed them from a different mac. If you put your library into a sparse bundle, you will have to make sure, that your backup scheme is really working reliably, so that you will be able to restore it from a recent backup.

Jun 9, 2013 2:58 AM in response to léonie

Lèonie, thank you again for your detailed reply. I apologize for my many questions, but this is a learning experience for me.

If I do create a sparse bundle disk image, should I put it in my Applications folder or in the Shared folder or somewhere else, such that any user on my Mac can access it?

You seem to indicate that in your experience sparse bundles can be unreliable (get corrupted when read by another Mac). But isn't it true that Time Machine makes its backups into a sparse bundle?

My final decision on whether to go with a separate partition on my iMac's internal 1TB hard drive or to use a sparse bundle disk image will be based upon which is less fiddly and easier for me to use in the long term.

It sure would be nice if Apple could find a way to solve this problem for us, especially since I imagine that many families use the same Mac computer and have multiple users, each of them want to access the same iPhoto library.

Jun 9, 2013 3:35 AM in response to JDW1

I'm not sure about this and you might want to check it out but:

One thing to bear in mind with Sparse Bundels is that TM can't do incremental back ups of it. Any change triggers a complete copy of the whole thing.

It sure would be nice if Apple could find a way to solve this problem for us, especially since I imagine that many families use the same Mac computer and have multiple users, each of them want to access the same iPhoto library.

Here's the problem: the whole point of computer accounts is to keep data separate. There is a simple solution to for people who "want access to the same iPhoto Library" - it's called iPhoto sharing.

If you want another user to be able to see your pics, but not add to, change or alter your library, then enable Sharing in your iPhoto (Preferences -> Sharing), leave iPhoto running and use Fast User Switching to open the other account. In that account, enable 'Look For Shared Libraries'. Your Library will appear in the other source pane. Any user can drag a pic from the Shared Library to their own in the iPhoto Window.

Remember iPhoto must be running in both accounts for this to work.

But I suspect that 'access' is not what you want. You want two users to 'own' and 'control' the data, and when the data is an object as complex as a photo database, this is where the problems arise.

The simple solution is to put the Library beyond the permissions issues of the start up disk - an external, for instance.

But you don't want to do that, so now you've run out of "simple" solutions. From now on, everything is going to me more or less complex.

Here's one way that I have set up for a family in a similar situation. It's a bit clunky at first, but it does work well. Most importantly, it uses the System to do the job for you.

Create a new Account on your Mac, call it Media. Create an iPhoto Library there. (BTW: This will work for iTunes too.)

Enable Sharing on the Library:(Preferences -> Sharing), leave iPhoto running and use Fast User Switching to open the other accounts. In those accounts, enable 'Look For Shared Libraries'. The Library will appear in the other source pane.

This means that all users will be able to see the pics. If you want to use a pic then simply drag it from the shared Library to your own in the iPhoto Window. This means that each user can have their own edits.

If you want to add photos to the Library: Log into the Media account for that purpose.

To make it all seamless: Set your Mac to log into the Media Account automatically. Set iPhoto to launch on log-in. Then switch to your own account using Fast User Switching.

Net result: a Library that's permanently available to all users but also protected. Each user can have their own versions of the pics if they want.

No partitioning, no permissions issues. Uses no extra disk space. What's not to like?

Jun 9, 2013 3:38 AM in response to JDW1

If I do create a sparse bundle disk image, should I put it in my Applications folder or in the Shared folder or somewhere else, such that any user on my Mac can access it?

Put it in the "Shared" folder. The Applications folder has special permission settings and should be reserved for applications.

You seem to indicate that in your experience sparse bundles can be unreliable (get corrupted when read by another Mac).

I did not mean "unreliable". Sparse bundles work very well. I only meant, that any kind of data error can be worse for a sparse bundle than for an external drive or a partition. A few wrong bits - for example caused by a bad surface on the drive or an transmission error, will probably make an image unreadable, but all the other files and the library still will work. The same happening to a sparse bundle may make it impossible to mount the sparse bundle and to open it at all. So a god backup strategy is essential.

But isn't it true that Time Machine makes its backups into a sparse bundle?

That is necessary for backups on network drives, that cannot be formatted MacOS X Extended, like Time Capsule.

That is a feature enhancement request, not a bug report. iPhoto has been not designed to handle shared library, even the Pro application Aperture has the same limitations. You are right; proper ways to share a library between family members or collegues would be very useful, but would require a complete redesign of the application.

Send feedback to Apple: Apple - Feedback

Regards

Léonie

Jun 9, 2013 5:34 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence, thank you for your input. I found your suggestion rather intriguing, so I gave it a try just now. Unfortunately, using iPhoto's "library sharing" feature is thoroughly and utterly disappointing.

First of all, I don't see any way to automatically open that shared library in my wife's user account when she first launches iPhoto.

Second, I see the shared library sitting at the bottom of the left sidebar when I open iPhoto in my wife's account, but it defaults to show all of the photos rather than sorting them nicely into "events" like you normally see when you display the actual library in iPhoto in my own user account.

When I read your suggestion originally, what I thought would happen was that it would open up the shared iPhoto library in my wife's user and display it exactly like it is displayed in my own user. But that is not the case.

I don't necessarily need to give my wife editing capabilities directly to the original iPhoto library. But I do want to clone the user experience. Another words, I want her to see the iPhoto library in the same manner I see it in my own user account. Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but I don't see any way to mimic that user experience in my wife's user when sharing the iPhoto library instead of opening it directly.

What my wife wants to be able to do in iPhoto from her user account is as follows:

1) View photos and videos nicely separated into individual events, just like you can do when viewing the iPhoto library directly.

2) View slideshows full-screen just like you can do when viewing the original iPhoto library directly.

3) Be able to email individual photos or drag photos out of iPhoto to the desktop so as to develop prints from an online print service.

Jun 9, 2013 9:21 AM in response to JDW1

First of all, I don't see any way to automatically open that shared library in my wife's user account when she first launches iPhoto.

You can have iPhoto launch automatically when the guest account is loggen into initially by going to the System/Accounts/Login Items pane for that account and adding iPhoto to the list of apps to launch at boot.

User uploaded file

Jun 25, 2013 12:31 AM in response to Yer_Man

What I ultimately decided to do was GET SIMPLE. I moved my iPhoto Library back to its original location:

Macintosh HD > users > ME > Pictures > iPhoto Library

I've been using it in that condition since my last post, and so far I've not had a single problem.

Of course, my wife can no longer access the photos from her user, but since it's a family computer anyway, she just switches to my user to view and edit.

It would be BEST if we could seamlessly share the same library from within our individual users, but until Apple makes that a seamless reality, I will stick with the mildly bothersome, yet trouble-free solution.

Thanks to everyone who offer their time in commenting here.

—James

iPhoto Library, Rebuilt multiple times but errors continue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.