Skip navigation

How to get Messages to sync more often?

306 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2013 1:28 PM by Ralph Johns (UK) RSS
chattphotos Level 4 Level 4 (1,210 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 8, 2013 9:48 AM

I updated  to 10.8.4

iMessages still are syncing unreliably to the Mac whereas they deliver every time and on time to my iPhone across the same internet connection.

How do I tell Messages to sync to iCloud on my time? Not on some arbitrary delivery scheme as it currently feels...

Sometimes I can kick-start the sync by replying on the computer to a message delivered on my phone, but its not reliable.

The other thing is that the push notifications rarely show up on the Mac, when the app is open, but behind firefox or something else, no notifications come in about new messages.

How can I rely on this when it really doesn't work?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3, Sprint model, 3/Drei service
  • Barney-15E Level 7 Level 7 (33,560 points)
    Jun 8, 2013 10:41 AM (in response to chattphotos)

It doesn't sync on a schedule. They are "push" notifications.

I'm not sure what is available in the preferences, but do you have it set to go off line at some point?

Here are some troubleshooting tips: http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/09/fix-imessage-syncing-between-mac-ios/

and here: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/77157/how-to-get-imessages-to-sync-acro ss-an-iphone-ipad-and-mac-automatically

• Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9 (66,880 points)
    Jun 8, 2013 2:37 PM (in response to chattphotos)

HI,

The iMessages are held on the iMessages server and not the iCloud one.

Although there can be a delay if one device is Off line or unable to connect, they are essentially sent instantly.

iCloud only provides the Sync for Contacts that you might use on Computer and iOS service and possibly the Apple ID although it does not have to be an iCloud ID.

3Sigcopy2.png
    10:37 PM      Saturday; June 8, 2013

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
     G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
     MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),
     Couple of iPhones and an iPad

"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

• Barney-15E Level 7 Level 7 (33,560 points)
    Jun 8, 2013 5:22 PM (in response to chattphotos)

chattphotos wrote:

If it's not sync, then how come the push will land on my phone all the time and only some of the time on my Mac?

I need it to be 100% reliable on my Mac for it to be an effective tool as I multi-task with classmates with various research projects at university.

I don't have any problem on my Mac. I get messages there just prior to them showing up on my iDevices.

Perhaps the phone number issue is what is causing your delay. I don't know.

• Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9 (66,880 points)
    Jun 9, 2013 1:28 PM (in response to chattphotos)

HI,

Some Notes.

From the OX Daily link I see it suggests using the apple ID across all devices.

I have seen threads suggesting using the iPhone number on both which has benefits if you don't want people to know your Apple ID or any other email you have linked in.

I have personally experienced "losing" the Apple ID on the iPhone  and would recommend resetting the Apple ID on the iPhone by removing it, setting the Messages app to Off (or use Airplane Mode) to break with the server then re-add the Apple ID.

I have an iMac running Mountain Lion/Messages 7.0.1 (it is not updated in the OS X 10.8.4 update)

I have see issues when the Mac has been Off Line and is Syncing on the app Start up with iMessages that the iPhone was involved in.

This seems similar to the issue in Messages Beta where syncs could be interrupted by new and "Instant" iMessages overriding the sync order.

As the Apple ID in use can be any Apple ID you have I see no benefit in adding your iPhone Number to the Apple ID info.

The ID does need to be verified and this can be difficult for some @mac.com ID that might have created as "iChat" names (AIM valid Screen Names) during the MobileMe era when you could still register them but they did not work as emails although they functioned in other respects as full Apple IDs

I have always found my Mac version to be behind the iPhone and iPad in getting iMessages.

3Sigcopy2.png
    9:28 PM      Sunday; June 9, 2013

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
     G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
     MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),
     Couple of iPhones and an iPad

"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.