Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Active directory account doesn't have full access

Hi everyone,

I joined my MacBook to my home domain network and login with my domain user. I was trying to install soundflower and it wasn't accepting my credentials for my ad account but accepted my local account (the one originally created during setup) however it didn't install properly for me. The only other time I noticed this is when I was install adobe master collection when I wasn't on my network. I thought it was just unable to authenticate since it couldn't contact my domain controller but now this makes sense. But adobe suite works just fine after installing so that's okay.

I went to terminal and typed "groups dustin" (Dustin being my domain account) and " groups dustinschreiber" (local account made during install) and noticed my network account not part of some groups that my local account was. My network account in users preference pane does show allow this user to administer computer checked. I'll upload a screenshot of some of my settings in a few minutes.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Jun 8, 2013 10:00 AM

14 replies

Jul 6, 2013 8:15 AM in response to ReArmedHalo

Still having this issue.

Additonal notes:

I noticed that sometimes when I try to copy an application to the Applications folder I must use my local user account (dustinschreiber) to be allowed to do it. Sometimes I am able to use my domain account (haven't pinpointed exactly what conditions make my domain account work)

Is anyone else having similar problems or know why my system is doing this?

Jul 6, 2013 1:29 PM in response to JaimeMagiera

Hi,

I ran this command as my domain account and here are the results:

Last login: Sat Jul 6 11:25:24 on ttys000

app1egenius-mbp:~ dustin$ dscl . read /Groups/admin

AppleMetaNodeLocation: /Local/Default

GeneratedUID: ABCDEFAB-CDEF-ABCD-EFAB-CDEF00000050

GroupMembers: FFFFEEEE-DDDD-CCCC-BBBB-AAAA00000000 0D4EB3FE-E490-4173-94A8-D8860C898F5F

GroupMembership: root dustinschreiber

NestedGroups: 2E1E9ABB-4A70-426F-BC39-B67DF3224057 C19A5597-CF63-4B09-85DC-C6FDE5589E87

Password: *

PrimaryGroupID: 80

RealName: Administrators

RecordName: admin BUILTIN\Administrators

RecordType: dsRecTypeStandard:Groups

SMBSID: S-1-5-32-544

app1egenius-mbp:~ dustin$

Jul 22, 2013 10:37 AM in response to JaimeMagiera

dustin$ dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -u dustin -p [REDACTED] -a dustin -t user admin

Please enter user password:

Group not found.

Same error.

Do I need to do it like this?

dustin$ dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -u dustin -p [REDACTED] -a dustin -t user -L admin

dustin$ dseditgroup

Usage: dseditgroup [-pqv] -o edit [-n nodename] [-u username] [-P password]

[-r realname] [-c comment] [-s ttl] [-k keyword] [-i gid]

[-g uuid] [-S sid] [-a addmember] [-d deletemember]

[-t membertype] [-T grouptype] [-L] groupname

Jul 22, 2013 10:52 AM in response to ReArmedHalo

Try putting the node first. The following works for me...

dseditgroup -n /Local/Default -u diradmin -o edit -a somebody -t user admin

Note that the -u and -p flags are the directory administrator. I'm unclear why you're trying to authenticate to the directory as the user you're trying to add. You want to authenticate as the user you set up as the administrator of your OpenDiectory Master.

Jul 22, 2013 10:57 AM in response to JaimeMagiera

I don't have an open directory server. (Well from my understanding theres the local Open Directory server) I have Active Directory and my Active Directory administrator user is "dustin" which is the user on my macbook that should be an administrator as well. My mac's non network admin user is "dustinschreiber". I want my network user "dustin" to be have the same rights on my macbook as the macs local admin.

dseditgroup -n /Local/Default -u dustinschreiber -o edit -a dustin -t user admin

Please enter user password:

app1egenius-mbp:~ dustin$

I did the above and I think it worked just not sure.

Jul 22, 2013 1:10 PM in response to JaimeMagiera

dustin$ dscl . read /Groups/admin GroupMembership

GroupMembership: root dustinschreiber dustin

Looks right, will try logging out and back in and try to install something and see what happens.

And my bad. I'm visually impaired and was properly tired when I posted 😝

Thanks for your help though. I think the command you gave me (dseditgroup -n /Local/Default -u diradmin -o edit -a somebody -t user admin) did work though.

Active directory account doesn't have full access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.