Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photo stream problem

Hi all - I really need your help.

My iPhoto '11 was working just fine until I upgraded it to 9.4.3. I also just installed the recent system upgrade. Now I am having multiple problems. It seems to stem from Photo Stream. Activity Monitor shows that Photo Stream is using up gobs of CPU which is strange since it is supposed to not be working...

In iPhoto, under the preferences, it shows that Photo Stream is not enabled. If I check the box to turn it on, it just unchecks itself just as quickly. But in the system preferences, it shows that Photo Stream is set up just fine. Photo Stream is certainly not working. And it seem to be totally screwing up iPhoto. I have tried multiple iPhoto fix options (option alt fixes, restoring a backup library, uninstalling then reinstalling iPhoto) with no improvement.

I'm not sure if the problem is coming from iPhoto or iCloud Photo Stream problems. I am running OSX 10.8.4 on a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7.

Can anyone tell me what to do? Thank you so much!

Posted on Jun 8, 2013 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 6:36 AM

I also have problems of iphoto 9.4.3 and new OSX 10.8.4 . The photostream doesn't work . It always shows download or upload photos , but it doesn't show any newly photo in photostream . Even I tuen off photostream in control panel and reopen , it doesn't work either . I doesn't know if 10.8.4 make photosream mass or not ?

If anyone have problem , like me and HBCalGal , please reply and notice APPLE .

Thank you ~

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2013 6:36 AM in response to HBCalGal

I also have problems of iphoto 9.4.3 and new OSX 10.8.4 . The photostream doesn't work . It always shows download or upload photos , but it doesn't show any newly photo in photostream . Even I tuen off photostream in control panel and reopen , it doesn't work either . I doesn't know if 10.8.4 make photosream mass or not ?

If anyone have problem , like me and HBCalGal , please reply and notice APPLE .

Thank you ~

Jun 9, 2013 7:38 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you both for your replies.

Hsuchen - I am glad to know its not just me having this problem.

Old Toad - this morning I figured out that signing out of iCloud solved the problem completely - iPhoto now works properly. But if I sign back in the problem is back and I still can't get photo strem to work right. Just tried rebooting as you suggested but that did not help. I really love photo stream since I pretty much take all of my photos on my iPhone these days. Any other ideas?

Jun 10, 2013 8:51 AM in response to HBCalGal

Two more tests:

1 - log into another user account on your Mac, sign in to your iCloude account and try iPhoto and PS from there. When you're done with the test log out of the iCloud account before going back to your prinary acocunt.

2 - boot into Safe Mode, Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode, and try iPhoto with PS.

This will help us determine if it's system wide or limited to your account. If it's system wide a reinstall of iPhoto may fix it.

Jun 10, 2013 7:54 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad,

Thanks - I have tried both #1 & #2 that you suggested. I am sorry to report that neither of them solved the problem. What does that mean?

One thing to note, in both cases, I log into iCloud through the system preferences and do not check any of the boxes. Then I open iPhoto and in the preference in iPhoto, I try and turn on PS. In both cases 1 then 2, first a notice of "enabling" displayed then stopped, then the box unchecked itself. When I enxited iPhoto, I double checked the iCloud in system pref and magically the PS box was checked. iPhoto must have turned that on but then did not recognize it...?

I really appreciate your replies and assistance. Do you have any other ideas for me?

Jun 10, 2013 9:10 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad,

OK - I think I just found something that should help us figure out this problem. I have two users set up on my mac. When I first got it, I logged in and set up a user before I was ready to port everything over so later I had to set up a second user account which is what I use for my iPhoto and everything else.

So on a whim, I tried opening iPhoto in the first user account (not my main one) and was able to log into iCloud and set up PS just fine with iPhoto. So it seems the problem is limited to only one of the users that I have set up on my computer.

What does that mean? Does it give you any clues on how to fix this?

Jun 11, 2013 9:28 AM in response to HBCalGal

No, Photo Stream is limited to only one library at a time for the same iCloud account. If you log out of iCloud in that second account that you found, return to your main account and log in and activate PS in iPhoto it will appear.

If you have more than one library in your main account and switch between do no activate PS in the library as it will disable PS in the other library.

Jun 11, 2013 4:50 PM in response to HBCalGal

I also just started having this issue. PS in iPhoto syncs photos from my iDevices but when I import new photos into iPhoto from.. lets say my SD card from my camera those photos do not upload to my PS. I cant even put them in newly created shared PS's. On top of all of this my CPU is now wound for sound and my MBP has turned into a space heater.

Jun 11, 2013 8:03 PM in response to Old Toad

Well Old Toad, I am stumped.

I double checked and logged out of iCloud in both user accounts and made sure that PS was not enabled on either library. Then I restarted the computer. I went back to my main user account (second account set up = non administrator account) and to my main iPhoto library, logged into iCloud, tried turing on PS = did not work.

If I do the exact same thing as above for a restore of a backup of my library = does not work.

If I do the exact same thing above but log in with my first account (not my main one but it is the admin account on the computer) and access the test library I created = PS works just fine with no problem.

It seems the problem with PS is limited to my primanry account (non-admin). Do you think the admin privaledges difference between the two accounts could be the problem...?

As always, I am thankful for your time and advice.

iCloud photo stream problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.