Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera roll

We have two Apple IDs and multiple devices.

We save all photos from all devices in a single Aperture library.

I'm trying to work out the best way to download the photos. At the moment, I connect the devices to my Mac, download to Aperture, then delete from the device.

This works fine but is a little laborious - is there any easier way to do it?

Thank you.

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 8:41 AM

3 replies

Jun 9, 2013 1:55 PM in response to Jerry Dammers

You could save a bit of work by setting up have an automatic download from the Photo Stream. This would save to have the devices connected directly and to start the download.

The only problem are your two AppleIDs and the one common Aperture library.

In each account you can only have one Aperture library using Photo Stream, so each of you would have to do the download from your devices in your own account, using your own AppleID and download into your own library. Then you could browse yor photos, weed out the poor ones, and upload only the best to your shared Aperture library.

iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ

iCloud: Photo Stream troubleshooting

Léonie

Jun 10, 2013 12:52 AM in response to léonie

Thanks Leonie.

Few more questions:

1. I can see how to turn on Photo Stream in Aperture but who do I permanenty download the photos? Presumably if I don't permanently download them, the oldest ones would eventually disappear.

2. How do I permanently delete the photos from my camera roll when downloading from Photo Stream into Aperture? (if I don't do this, then there is a risk I lose track of what I have downloaded and what I haven't).

3. I'm aware that I can have two different Apple IDs per device - e.g. one for paid for things like music and apps and another for personal things like mail and contacts. Am I able to use the same Apple ID for photos? (I'm guessing not but would clearly help my situation if I can).

Jun 10, 2013 2:05 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

1. I can see how to turn on Photo Stream in Aperture but who do I permanenty download the photos? Presumably if I don't permanently download them, the oldest ones would eventually disappear.

They might vanish after a month or if you have reached the 1000 photos limit.

If you set the Preferences for "Photo Stream" to "Automatic Import", your photos will automatically be saved to monthly projects "Feb 2013 Photo Stream" or similar.

You can also drag the photos from the Photo Straem to projects of your choice.

2. How do I permanently delete the photos from my camera roll when downloading from Photo Stream into Aperture? (if I don't do this, then there is a risk I lose track of what I have downloaded and what I haven't).

There is no automatic support for that, but once the photos show in the Photo Stream in Aperture, and you downloaded them from My Photo Stream, you can delete them from the Camera Roll, if you do not want to keep them on the device.

The savest way would be to rely on the automatic import. This way you will not create duplicates or miss something.

Am I able to use the same Apple ID for photos? (I'm guessing not but would clearly help my situation if I can).

You enable the Photo Stream in the iCloud settings with the same Apple ID you are using for other iCloud settings (Mail, Contacts, etc.)

And this AppleID will be used, when you enable Photo Stream in Aperture or iPhoto. That is why you will have to do it from your personal user accounts and have to have a personal Aperture library to be used with Photo Stream.

Camera roll

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.